PDA

View Full Version : Copy Smith little torch

Joanna6573
22-11-2016, 05:52 PM
Hi all
The copy smith little torch's purchased from china through eBay, does any one have any experience of them ?

ps_bond
22-11-2016, 06:10 PM
They're a counterfeit item - supporting the copiers isn't something I'd advocate any more than copying another jeweller.

Joanna6573
22-11-2016, 06:23 PM
I realise they are not the real thing, but do they work very well, are there any problems with them ?

joella
22-11-2016, 06:40 PM
Erm......Not sure I'd want to take my chance with a counterfeit torch!
Generally, if people know the item they are buying is counterfeit, then buyer beware (some like to take a gamble now and then) - but a torch? Anything that could blow up in your face is probably not something I'd want to gamble with.
Just saying.

Aurarius
22-11-2016, 07:16 PM
Hi all
The copy smith little torch's purchased from china through eBay, does any one have any experience of them ?

Only the real thing.

I'd avoid for reasons people have already given, and also because you're more likely to need a guarantee with a cheap copy but likely to get one that is not worth the paper it's printed on.

It would be interesting to see a tear-down of the original and one or more copies, and see how they compare in areas such as materials used, accuracy of machining, gas tightness et al. The reason counterfeits are cheaper is not usually just that they're unbranded.

Joanna6573
22-11-2016, 07:25 PM
Ive just seen a vid on YouTube showing the build quality, the original is a lot better built.

look on YouTube entre in search Smiths Little Torch watch the vid by 2ndchanceinlife

I guess that answers my question

Joanna6573
22-11-2016, 07:42 PM
Thank you for all your replies
:-)

Aurarius
22-11-2016, 07:47 PM
Ive just seen a vid on YouTube showing the build quality, the original is a lot better built.

look on YouTube entre in search Smiths Little Torch watch the vid by 2ndchanceinlife

I guess that answers my question
Thanks for the link. The video gives you a taste of what you're letting yourself in for, but could have been far more usefully analytical in the fourteen minutes it extends to.

Given the guy's blind trust in the hoses from the counterfeit model, and his own admission that the hose connection he's made is a bit suspect, he may be needing that second chance in life he's used for his Youtube account name.

ps_bond
22-11-2016, 10:04 PM
Sorry, I was cursing the tablet keyboard on the earlier post - the other points I'd have made about safety, liability and build quality have been well covered. I can imagine an insurer taking a gleeful approach to an incident involving one of these fakes...

I'm well aware of the claims that the genuine ones are made in China, therefore these must be from the same factory *and to the same quality*; the tales of "they're just overstock" and "they're genuine but not badged". That's not how it works, and for some items it's worth paying extra to make sure you have cover in your own country.

Different countries take very different attitudes to safety - have a look at the petrol vapour torches used in various parts of the world for jewellery work and be grateful for Calor gas :)

china
23-11-2016, 02:37 PM
Apart from the fact they are counterfeit (ahhhh!) they are rubbish the joints crack and leak next thing your hand is on fire the hoses are inferior, leak at the crimps plus do not comply with Australian standards (I don't know about UK) you have to tighten the blowpipes excessively with a spanner
The genuine Smiths little torch is not made in China it is manufactured in Watertown South Dakota USA. Cheap knock offs are a false economy.

Joanna6573
25-11-2016, 03:35 PM
I ended up buying the Real Smith Little Torch, it may of cost me a lot more than the counterfeit torch, but it is made very well :) thanks again for the advice.

Joanna6573
06-12-2016, 07:40 PM
I Received my new Smith little torch and the build quality is very good, i previously ordered one of the copy torch's, i also received that, at a quick glance it looks very good, at closer inspection the build quality is very poor.
a definite thing to be concerned about is the gas valves, The gas valves are tight, they feel like something someone has tried to repair by using an o ring that is a bit to thick, in time im sure it will quickly wear resulting in a gas leek.
I connected the torch up and ignited it from curiosity, it ignites easily and does what its meant to do as a torch, but due to poor build quality i hate to think how long it will last until it becomes dangerous.
The best thing to do with these copy torch's, even if you cant afford a lot is to avoid them, this one is going in the bin, save your money and buy a real Smith little torch, the real Smith torch may seem expensive, that's because they are a quality tool and they are worth every penny.

enigma
06-12-2016, 08:05 PM
I bought a similar torch in France last year- not the Smiths as I couldn't get the gas and attachments for it but one that was for sale as a complete package in France.
It worked great until a week ago when it started playing up ( its under a year old) and I discovered I can't clean it out properly because of how its put together.
So just bought a Smiths torch now and trying to sort out the EU attachments I need.
But yes,agree 100% the Smiths appears to be far better put together.