PDA

View Full Version : OCPTT-What I have Learned About Flush Setting.

Dennis
21-11-2016, 02:30 PM
Our class project this term, was to make a box with surface decoration, possibly by etching which had been an ongoing tutorial.

As I am not keen on etching as a process, I opted for roll texturing instead. There was no mention of a lid, so my interpretation was to make a closed box with 21 flush set synthetic stones to represent a die, as a desk toy or paperweight

It was not that difficult to match the burrs to the stones for a close fitting seat, but much more so to have all the tables at exactly the same level. In my picture you will notice slight differences.

The pusher used is unusual, made on a course many years back, which allows plenty of pressure with minimal damage to the metal surface. Finally, a burnisher made from a burr with the head removed and held in a universal handle was used to create a bright circle.

Testing the result with strong adhesive tape for loose stones did not disclose any problems, but when as an experiment, I tried the burnisher in a slow running handpiece, two stones began to vibrate and rotate. They were easily tightened up, but could have caused trouble in the future.

Silver thickness 1.3mm. Size of cube 25.0mm. Dennis.

Wallace
21-11-2016, 04:03 PM
Oh, Dennis... what a brilliant piece. No gambling with that design at all.

Sammyjean
21-11-2016, 05:43 PM
That is so neat! Gives me a great gift idea for hubby.. but then for Yatzee I'd have to make 2!
Sam

josef1
21-11-2016, 07:58 PM
top job Dennis and a great photograph as usual.

Dennis
21-11-2016, 10:47 PM
Thank you Wallace, Sam and Josef. Why not have a go, Sam?

mizgeorge
22-11-2016, 12:00 AM
I love it Dennis - and just the right size too :)

enigma
22-11-2016, 01:29 AM
Thats fabulous Dennis! You are such a perfectionist and it shows!

jeannette.copeland
22-11-2016, 06:59 AM
Wow - superb!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dennis
22-11-2016, 08:51 AM
Thank you George, Sarah and Jeannette for liking my desk toy. I find perfection rather elusive, Sarah.
There are others here who manage it better. Regards Dennis.

Aurarius
22-11-2016, 07:23 PM
Very nice precise work, Dennis.
Are you willing to tell us how you made the box?

joella
22-11-2016, 08:13 PM
That's really nice Dennis, very covetable. How long would you say it took you to set all those stones, so carefully too.

Dennis
22-11-2016, 09:22 PM
Very nice precise work, Dennis.
Are you willing to tell us how you made the box?

Thank you Mark. The main concern was to make sure that all the sides were square and equal. I started with an expanded diagram on graph paper, so as to have a visual to refer to.

Then briefly:
1. I scored a piece of textured metal sheet 51.00mm x 49.mm (approx 2" square) in the centre, using a carpenters mitre block and a hack saw, cutting about half way through. Then I followed with a square file until there was a neat right angle groove 2" long and not quite through.
2. Next I cut the sheet into two equal pieces across the score, annealed the pieces and bent them to right angles, checking them on my graph paper.
3. Having soldered the angles and readjusted them for any movement, each angle piece was rubbed, edges down, on a flat abrasive sheet to give them a 45°angle. At the same time the sides were measured and re-measure to keep them all equal.
4. The angle pieces were then held together with binding wire to form the sides of the box and soldered.
5. Lastly the height of the square tube so produced was reduced to allow for the thickness of the top and bottom pieces.
6. Once the bottom piece was on it was trimmed close, marked out and pre-drilled for the figure two, so acting as a vent, before adding the top.

The layout for the stones was drawn on squares of graph paper and temporarily glued to the surfaces with Pritt, for drilling. Dennis.

Dennis
22-11-2016, 09:38 PM
Thank you Sue. As you see from the above, the holes were drilled using a layout on squares of graph paper. This was followed by setting burrs of a size to match the stones. This took about 45 minutes. Setting of the 21 stones took just under two hours more.
Of course, I do this quite infrequently. A setter would have it finished in less than half the time. Dennis.

joella
22-11-2016, 11:03 PM
Flippin heck Dennis, that's so impressive! I don't think I'd ever be able to achieve anything like that, no matter how long I try. I'm well jell of your skills :)