PDA

View Full Version : 9ct yellow gold

flowerpecker
20-11-2016, 12:27 PM
Hi Guys,
I am about to work to this metal,never tried this before,excited but nervous,coz the amount of this metal.lol
Question
1.Is there specific torch to solder this metal?I used a handheld torch for my sterling silver.
2.Temp?high or low?
3.Can i used my brazepaste?
4.Polishing?I used barrel,can i put it there?
Tips and advice really appreciated,sorry for those silly question.
TIA
Leizel:~:

Dennis
20-11-2016, 01:04 PM
Hi, as you are already familiar with hard soldering of silver, you will find this metal very similar to use.

Just buy 9ct solder to go with it and you might consider Auroflux from Cookson, as it does not move much when heated. Some of us use it for silver too.

If your design is new to you, experiment with copper and silver solder first to save wasting gold. Dennis.

flowerpecker
20-11-2016, 02:44 PM
Hi Dennis,
Thanks so much for replying.I do have a solder paste here and the flux.I need to solder to close the jumping.
How about the polishing,usual sanding it first then barreling is that ok?
I am terrified to work in this metal,just the cost itself.lol
Cheers
Leizel

Maree Hart
20-11-2016, 04:02 PM
I used 9ct for the first time yesterday - melted down an old broken necklace, rolled down the ingot into D wire and made myself a ring.

Yes, it was scary (though I hadn't had to pay out cash for the scrap) but I found it worked in a very similar way to silver. It did need annealing more frequently as it is harder.

I bought 9ct solder wire as you can buy very small quantities from Cookies. I didn't barrel, though I'm sure that would be OK, as I used my normal polish and mops.

Dennis
20-11-2016, 06:50 PM
Hi Dennis,
Thanks so much for replying.I do have a solder paste here and the flux.I need to solder to close the jumping.
How about the polishing,usual sanding it first then barreling is that ok?
I am terrified to work in this metal,just the cost itself.lol
Cheers
Leizel

You'll be just fine if you treat it as (expensive) silver. But do use matching gold solder. Dennis.

flowerpecker
20-11-2016, 09:26 PM
Hi Maree,
I know scary indeed, thinking about it..lol
Thanks very much for the reply,help me to ease a wee bit..hahaha

flowerpecker
20-11-2016, 09:27 PM
Hi Dennis,
Thank you very,I'm off to buy solder now..
Cheers
Leizel