PDA

View Full Version : Electro forming

Goldsmith
10-11-2016, 09:37 AM
John Allison has been showing his electro formed settings and there has been some interest in the process, looking through my collection I found these copper pieces that were electro formed over 60 years ago and it shows the quality that can be achieved using this process.

9571 9572

James

Dennis
10-11-2016, 11:57 AM
yes, but I think what we are seeing here is copper formed onto an accurate impression, i.e. the layer first formed.

The electro forming of twigs, leaves, lace and such like, will contain the original, which is often weak or likelyly to decompose. What you see then is the outer layer which will be nowhere near as sharp and quite porous. Dennis.

metalsmith
10-11-2016, 03:39 PM
yes, but I think what we are seeing here is copper formed onto an accurate impression, i.e. the layer first formed.

The electro forming of twigs, leaves, lace and such like, will contain the original, which is often weak or likelyly to decompose. What you see then is the outer layer which will be nowhere near as sharp and quite porous. Dennis.

I was just looking at a website this morning; it recommended the approach was used twice once to take an impression (inwardly negative) and then again to provide a positive.

enigma
11-11-2016, 12:16 AM
Wow! thats amazing James, I didn't realise you could get that level of accuracy.