PDA

View Full Version : some from today

J Allison
08-11-2016, 09:35 PM
Here are a few from today , I handcut all the stones and do the electroforming etc 9570

metalsmith
09-11-2016, 06:13 PM
Cool. Sorry, but for me the jury is out on the electroforming: I like the bottom right, not the top left. Presumably the bottom left is a conventional bezel set. That's nice too: rutile qz?

Faith
09-11-2016, 09:44 PM
I like the bottom right too, it (the ring as a whole) has a quality like some boulder opals u see, where the shiny part looks like it's hatching out of the rock. I like that the electroformed metal is quite thick too, I've only seen much thinner examples and definitely like yours better.

Faith :)

PS - it just occurred to me, how do you attach the setting to the shank? Presumably after electoforming the stone is well and truly set, so you couldn't solder then, but how could u attach the setting first, surely it doesn't exist until it's been "grown" around the stone? It's like chicken and egg! All very clever!

enigma
09-11-2016, 09:56 PM
Nice stones, I didn't even realise what electroforming was until now!

J Allison
10-11-2016, 08:44 AM
Thanks yes it Rutile I did think about doing a white resin backing but went with silver in the end

J Allison
10-11-2016, 08:47 AM
I like the bottom right too, it (the ring as a whole) has a quality like some boulder opals u see, where the shiny part looks like it's hatching out of the rock. I like that the electroformed metal is quite thick too, I've only seen much thinner examples and definitely like yours better.

Faith :)

PS - it just occurred to me, how do you attach the setting to the shank? Presumably after electoforming the stone is well and truly set, so you couldn't solder then, but how could u attach the setting first, surely it doesn't exist until it's been "grown" around the stone? It's like chicken and egg! All very clever!
Hi Faith Thanks, the stone is a tanzanian sunstone , I have loads of it to work through . The shank is glued to the stone and thenthe whole thing electroformed so the copper goes over the glue making it sturdy

J Allison
10-11-2016, 08:48 AM
Nice stones, I didn't even realise what electroforming was until now!

Thanks Enigma

Faith
11-11-2016, 06:09 PM
Hi Faith Thanks, the stone is a tanzanian sunstone , I have loads of it to work through . The shank is glued to the stone and thenthe whole thing electroformed so the copper goes over the glue making it sturdy

Ahh! Okay that makes sense, I would never have figured it out tho! Thanks :)

Faith