PDA

View Full Version : Totally new to jewellery making!

rachel15
11-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Hi there, just found this forum and am so glad to meet other people who enjoy this craft. I am totally new to this field and at the moment am trying to master piercing (!) I'd be so grateful if others could reassure me that there are other techniques which aren't so tricky as I've broken numerous saw blades already. :">

Also, I've noticed that some people seem to be able to create beautiful jewellery which doesn't look as if they've used this technique - am I dreaming or is this really possible ?? :D

Anyway, it'd be good to hear from y'all - I'm from Horsham, West Sussex.

Rachel15

bustagasket
11-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Hi Rachel and welcome to the forums. there are so many techniques its unreal, and i am a noob at jewellery too, and everyone here will guide you so well :) You will learn so much so quick :D:~:

Emerald
11-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Hi Rachel welcome to the forum, i am afraid when starting saw piercing you will break lot's of blades until you learn to move the piece you are sawing and stroke the metal as you go, let the blade do the work rather than you forcing it and keep the blade upright. There are lots of things you can make without saw piercing such as wire work or if you want to cut something out and your metal is not to thick you can use shears.

there are a lot of people willing to help on this forum so ask any questions you want:~:

mizgeorge
11-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Hi Rachel, and welcome from me too :)

I promise, in a very short time, you'll think piercing is the easy bit!

MuranoSilver
11-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Hi Rachel
:welcome: to the forum, don't worry about the saw blades everyone breaks blades when they learn :)
Definately slow and steady wins the race (never understood that saying of mums until I started cutting metal with wafer thin saw blades :-D)
Nic x

caroleallen
12-09-2009, 06:42 AM
Welcome Rachel. I used to hate sawing too. Even now my arm aches if I do too much of it and I still break blades sometimes. I use an RT blanking system to cut multiples of things. It takes ages to cut the original dies out of steel but once you have them done, you can forget about the piercing saw.

kymbi
12-09-2009, 07:43 AM
Hi Rachel :welcome:

Di Sandland
12-09-2009, 07:49 AM
Hello Rachel and welcome

lorraineflee
12-09-2009, 10:00 AM
HI rachel, welcome from Bedfordshire! :welcome:
Lorraine

Petal
12-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Hi Rachel :~:

Welcome to our friendly forum. You'll find all you need and more from everyone here!

Lotsaluv
Jules x