PDA

View Full Version : Texturing for flower petals

sglbutler
01-11-2016, 03:35 PM
Hello,

I'm new to silver work and could really use some help! I would like to make a range of different flower rings but I'm stuck on how to get the best texturing. Firstly I thought of using etching to make the marks on the flowers but ferric nitrate is very very tricky to find here in Sweden. So now I'm wondering what other techniques I could use to make the petals a realistic texture/pattern.

I've included a picture of a ring I made (but didn't finish at the time of picturing) at my last class, this is the kind of design I am thinking of.

Thank you so much for any help,
Sophie

ps_bond
01-11-2016, 04:33 PM
Chasing with a punch would be how I'd approach it. Far less faff than etching and easier than engraving.

sglbutler
01-11-2016, 04:40 PM
Thank you! I was so stumped. Looking forward to trying this out tomorrow. :)

Sophie

ps_bond
01-11-2016, 04:46 PM
James is the person to ask on texturing flower petals though - worth searching the forum for some of his posts on flowers.

sglbutler
01-11-2016, 05:33 PM
Thanks, currently stalking his posts...great info!

Sophie

Goldsmith
01-11-2016, 06:42 PM
Hi Sophie, as Peter said using a textured punch is the easiest method of texturing, it depends on what tools you have. You can use diamond burrs in a flex shaft drill if you have one, they give a nice bright frosting finish. Or if you have a flex shaft on a pendant drill that will accept a hammer head attachment then this would open a lot of texturing ideas. Then there is also the use of gravers and scorpers to cut textures in flowers, this is what I do when my flowers are to be enamelled with transparent colours.

This is how a metal leaf looks when textured with a diamond burr. The other photo shows one of my flower patterns with a pattern on the petals cut using a polished cutting face, half round scorper.

9535 9536

James

Dennis
01-11-2016, 09:43 PM
Depending on the style you wish to achieve, you can reticulate the surface after chasing. I dont have it on a flower, but here it is on a copper leaf next to a natural twig.

This is simply done by repeatedly heating the surface until it bubbles and then pickling.

Alternatively you can project fragility by making outlines with wire. Dennis.