PDA

View Full Version : Insulation for my workshop????

Rustic Charm
11-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Hopefully i will soon be getting my very own little shed as a workshop,i keep hinting very heavily to OH and he's getting fed up with me going on about it so should be happening very soon, either that or he's gonna bury me in the garden as he's been talking about concreting an area over! lol:-D
but the real question is what should i use to insulate it as i have read other threads and you all agree that it is a must!:help:

MuranoSilver
11-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Most sheds have battons on the inside so you could use loft insulation and then board over it....

bustagasket
11-09-2009, 04:56 PM
If i was working in a shed i would definately want insulation as i can imagine it would be freezing in the winter.

I would think that that would also not be good from the tool care point of view, due to the condensation issue.

I do hope you get sorted soon, i have just sent a very large hint to my son again about clearing his room, so that i can start moving stuff in there.

Solunar Silver Studio
11-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Yes, I agree with Nic. That is what I did last winter. I used wool insulation from B&Q since I was doing it myself and don't like fibreglass - and it was on offer...and environmentally friendly!! You can also tease it apart to get it to the right thickness to fill the gaps without covering yourself with nasty fibreglass.
I staple gunned the insulation into place and I then cut panels of hardboard that spanned the sections in the shed and used a nail gun to attach them to the struts. All quite easy on the walls...not so easy on the roof! as the hardboard sags. I have used some lightweight (aluminium?) angle iron that we had kicking around from some past job, to brace the panels on the roof and that seems to work well..not very decorative though!!
I have not insulated over the soldering/fusing area or over the kiln...not wanting to tempt fate or lower the roof level!!
All of it is painted primrose yellow to make it bright and cheery in the winter - with 'arty photos' and 'words of wisdom' pinned up all around!!
It still gets bloomin' cold out there though!! - so invest in a good heater!!

caroleallen
11-09-2009, 06:11 PM
I got my "shed" from Dunster and it came with insulated floor, walls and roof and also double glazing. Even so, it can be a bit chilly in really cold weather and I wear Ugg boots and an insulated jacket as well as having the heater on.
Mind you my "shed" is 10 meters x 4 meters, so it's quite a large space.

geti-titanium
11-09-2009, 10:54 PM
what should i use to insulate it

Bat droppings - not as daft as it sounds :-D

caroleallen
12-09-2009, 06:27 AM
Bat droppings - not as daft as it sounds :-D

Yuk!

I agree about spending a bit more and getting something that you'll be happy in. I've also got electricity and hot water in mine and it's built on concrete piers so it's really secure. It was quite expensive (about £6,000 plus labour to put it up and put in resources etc) but worth every penny. We looked into getting one built the traditional way out of concrete blocks but it was going to cost a small fortune. I absolutely love my "shed". Dunster also do smaller ones which are less expensive.

Rustic Charm
12-09-2009, 07:28 AM
:ta:
thanx for all your input gang they are all being relayed to my OH, with the response i'm getting from him i think i'm getting a very small well insulated shed with a good heater atm!!!,which will be fine for me as anything will be better than living in the corner of the dining room as i'm doing atm bench and all!!

any more ideas will still be greatly recieved!!!!! :)

Solunar Silver Studio
12-09-2009, 08:27 AM
Following on from comments about flooring....how nice would under floor heating be!!!! Anyway - It sounds like you are more in my price bracket than Ben's....

On the floor I have fitted offcuts of vinyl to try and cut out the upward draught and then I have sewn together sample 'tiles' of really good quality carpet (far better than I could ever afford in the house!!) to make a thick, bright, patchwork floor covering. I have then screwed all of these down on to the wood floor at odd points to stop them 'creeping' and to prevent any trip hazards. Obviously there is a risk mixing carpet and torches/red hot metal - so make sure you buy a fire extinguisher to go out there as well!!

'Ugg' boots, thick socks, leg warmers, insulated undies, fleece sweat shirts/jackets, padded jacket, wooly hat (no scarf for safety reasons) should all be high on you Christmas list as well!

Don't get me wrong - I really love my little 'studio' - but you do have to be realistic. There were days when it was just riiculous to even try to work out there....so don't entirely abandon you little corner of the dining room - you may find that you have to slink back in from time to time!!

Di Sandland
12-09-2009, 09:30 AM
All I can remember from my shed days is the condensation - lots of windows cos I wanted it bright; how stupid can a woman get #-o

Do you have a solution for that one Bee - and your shed sounds exactly the sort of place I'd like to work. Love the idea of the patchwork carpet

Solunar Silver Studio
12-09-2009, 09:41 AM
I think condensation is due to not getting enough air circulating, isn't it? Despite all my efforts at insulating I still have enough draughts to part my hair!! I'm forever to-ing and fro-ing between house and shed so the door is constantly opening and closing! My 'double glazing' consists of a couple of pieces of acrylic sheet propped up against the windows - not quite a sealed unit and it is always full of spiders!! I have one of those ceramic heaters which in a 5 by 7 shed warms it up really quickly - so it is a real balancing act to try and keep a working temperature! I really do long for the day when I can move into a centrally heated room with all the mod cons!

caroleallen
12-09-2009, 12:43 PM
I put those foam interlocking mats that you get in B&Q down on my floor and it made a huge difference.

Ominicci
14-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Keep 'em coming - I am taking notes too. Final quarter of slate tiles going onto our shed this weekend :dance:

bustagasket
14-09-2009, 09:19 PM
oh nic how exciting!!!!!! cant wait to see pics :D

Hart-Star
21-11-2009, 04:12 PM
Hopefully i will soon be getting my very own little shed as a workshop,i keep hinting very heavily to OH and he's getting fed up with me going on about it so should be happening very soon, either that or he's gonna bury me in the garden as he's been talking about concreting an area over! lol:-D
but the real question is what should i use to insulate it as i have read other threads and you all agree that it is a must!:help:

There are sheds and sheds - I'm onto my second one, and I wouldn't think of one with a wall thickness of less than 25mm (There are lots of imported Scandinavian ones). Adding insulation to a cheap shed is false economy. Secondly - think carefully about where it will be - the Sun is very usefull in warming things up. Thirdly - think about how you will get power to it - cutting holes in existing concrete is a pain.

Hart-Star
21-11-2009, 04:17 PM
I think condensation is due to not getting enough air circulating, isn't it?

Sadly people generate warm moist air just by breathing. If you have any moisture in the air and any surface which is cool to the touch, you'll get water condensing on it. Windows are a prime example, but you need materials with low thermal conductivity in between you and the outside to avoid this problem.

Air circulation tends to help moisture which has already condensed back into the liquid state to re-evaporate, as long as the air itself is dry.