PDA

View Full Version : Tiara headband making

EmmaRose
11-09-2009, 02:04 PM
Does anyone have a supplier for sterling tiara bands, or advice on making your own? (thickness of wire, shape of wire, what do you form it round)
Thanks
Em

Emerald
11-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Hi Em

the only place i can think of at the mo is [url=http://www.mailorder-beads.co.uk] i know i have seen them elsewhere but for the life of me just cant remember or if you are making your own i would suggest 1mm flat wire x 3mm wide, i have a magazine somewhere with tiaras in i will have a look and see if there are any supply details in it but most of them seem to be plate:)

bustagasket
11-09-2009, 04:59 PM
yes i am afraid the bands i use arent sterling either sorry

Trudy
11-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Most of the magazines/books I have ever seen them in make the band itself from copper based silver/gold plated wire

I think it would be cheaper to make them yourself as the mail order beads ones are £10 each

Di Sandland
11-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Em, bearing in mind that I might be talking out of my backside here, I think I would be inclined to make my own using flat wire rather than use silver plate.

EmmaRose
11-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Thats what I have found, everyones seem to be plate. But do you form them round something to get the size/shape right??
Em

Di Sandland
11-09-2009, 05:28 PM
you need something like an old hatters block or something don't you. I've never seen a head-shaped mandrel, I have to say.

mizgeorge
11-09-2009, 05:31 PM
I made one for my daughter to wear for my wedding earlier this year from 0.8mm sheet at 3mm wide and hammered the front edge with a riveting hammer to get a nice 'grip'. I shaped it round a vase (it was a coronet rather than alice band style) and then hardened it. It was still a bit 'squishy' in the end - and I'm not sure I'd have been happy selling it. If I were to make one for a customer, I think I'd probably go for Argentium and heat harden it before wrapping.

EmmaRose
11-09-2009, 05:31 PM
exactly!!! there must be something!!! (a saucepan???)
Em

Emerald
11-09-2009, 09:12 PM
thats a very big head you have em lol, how about a barreller?

MuranoSilver
11-09-2009, 10:18 PM
thats a very big head you have em lol, how about a barreller?

Or a very small saucepan ;)
http://www.muranosilver.com/images/saucepan.jpg
nic x