PDA

View Full Version : Vogue??

KarolinaMoon
13-10-2016, 06:29 PM
Hi all,

I'm not sure what to make of this so thought I'd run it by you guys n gals. I have received emails from various magazines such as Red, Elle etc asking me to feature my jewellery in their up coming issues. I have most recently received a similar email from Vogue asking me to feature in their Christmas issue. Obviously it comes at a cost. Up until now I didn't really take notice, but I'm just wondering if this is something I should actually be considering, is it worthwhile.....has anyone else received such emails or featured in any magazines and if so what was your experience?

Thanks!
Karolina

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Aurarius
13-10-2016, 06:46 PM
Firstly, I'd want to be quite sure the people emailing you were genuinely the magazines in question and not scammers.
Secondly, I'd want to know what they mean by "feature my jewellery". Are they asking if you'd like your jewellery to feature in some kind of article written by them, or are they just asking if you'd like to pay for an advert?

KarolinaMoon
13-10-2016, 06:58 PM
Hi Aurarius, Yes exactly. It does seem to be advertising at a cost to me. I'm just curious as to anyone who has been contacted by them also or actually advertised with them. I did a quick Google and could find a few jewellers who have done similar advertisements (shown in the press section of their websites). I'm not in a position to advertise in such a manner at the moment anyway, but with what appears to be Vogue contacting me now I wondered if this was something I should consider down the line.

Dennis
13-10-2016, 07:33 PM
No from past experience in another field, the only worthwhile advertising in magazines is editorial mention, which is free. This is done by sending text and high quality pictures to the editors. Dennis.

pearlescence
13-10-2016, 08:43 PM
Don't.
Happened to me years ago. Complete waste of time and money

mizgeorge
13-10-2016, 09:00 PM
I know a lot of people who've been caught out by this. Not one of them has anything good to say about the experience.

If you want to advertise, do it properly. If they really want to 'feature' your work, they won't ask you to pay for them to do so.

enigma
13-10-2016, 09:14 PM
I suppose it depends.
If they are running an editorial pertinent to your product and offer you a good rate to advertise alongside that it can be worthwhile.

caroleallen
13-10-2016, 09:21 PM
I've lost count of the number of high end magazines who've asked me to do an advertorial. I think they prey on people like us who feel flattered that they have asked us. I've been caught out in the past but never again. Please don't fall for it - its a total waste of your money.

KarolinaMoon
14-10-2016, 05:06 PM
I know a lot of people who've been caught out by this. Not one of them has anything good to say about the experience.

If you want to advertise, do it properly. If they really want to 'feature' your work, they won't ask you to pay for them to do so.
Does seem like alot of money to spend on an advertorial...that may or may not lead to anything. I take it that the people who tried it didn't reap many benefits as a result?