PDA

View Full Version : Displaying Hallmarking Information

Solunar Silver Studio
11-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Does anyone know where you can get the Hallmarking charts that precious metal jewellery sellers are obliged to display to the public? I have only done 'house party' type sales so far and never really thought about it...but I have just read that anyone selling precious metal jewellery - even at a Car Boot Sale or similar - must display this chart. I sort of assumed you would need one for Craft Fair type events but never really thought about any further down the line. Do you think you would technically need them for parties in peoples homes??

Sorry I vanished off the surface of the earth this week (if anyone noticed!)...I've been really poorly...totally wiped out in fact - which is very unusual for me as I'm never ill. Even sitting at the computer reading posts proved to be too much - and as for typing...not a hope. I'm still rather shaky but thought I could do some research and paperwork type stuff today. Hopefully I will be back up to speed by Monday and will catch up with some of the posts I've missed.

Petal
11-09-2009, 11:20 AM
+o( awww Barbara, I'm sorry to hear that you've been poorly. Here's a big :flowers: from me and lots of get well wishes come flying your way down the 'net'. I was wondering where you were ...

I 'think' you have to display the hallmark card when you sell silver items that are over a certain weight. I don't know what the weight is, but I'm sure others will let you know.

Lots of [[]]

Jules x

MuranoSilver
11-09-2009, 11:23 AM
7.78g and you can get them from the Assay offices :)
Hope your feeling up so scratch soon []

bustagasket
11-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Awww B yes i did notice your absence and you were sorely missed [[]]

Obviously i dont have a clue about this chart and should also be interested in the replies, and if it is a necessity, where you get them from.

Hope you feel heaps better uber soon huni.:flowers::getwell::":

mizgeorge
11-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Oh dear, hope you're properly on the mend now B.

I believe you have to display the hallmarks chart if you're selling any weight of sterling or fine silver (and calling it that). The 7.78g limit is for the hallmark requirement.

I know trading standards do often pick up on this one at events, so better to have one.

QUICKTEST Hallmark cards / charts (http://www.quicktest.co.uk/acatalog/HALLMARK_CARDS___CHARTS___BOOKS.html)

I'm always surprised Cookson's don't sell them.

bustagasket
11-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Cheers for that George, bookemarked for the future :)

Ominicci
11-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Don't forget that is the big wall chart you need 10.5" x 14". As Nic said you can get them from the Assay Offices. I got mine at the same time as getting my hallmark punch made from Edinburgh Assay Office. They charged £10 and no postage and it comes in a heavy card envelope you can keep it safe in which I would think is useful when transporting around craft fairs etc.

bustagasket
11-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Don't forget that is the big wall chart you need 10.5" x 14". As Nic said you can get them from the Assay Offices. I got mine at the same time as getting my hallmark punch made from Edinburgh Assay Office. They charged £10 and no postage and it comes in a heavy card envelope you can keep it safe in which I would think is useful when transporting around craft fairs etc.

oooooooooooooooo even better!

Di Sandland
11-09-2009, 01:17 PM
ed them for parties in peoples homes??

Sorry I vanished off the surface of the earth this week (if anyone noticed!)...I've been really poorly...totally wiped out in fact - which is very unusual for me as I'm never ill. Even sitting at the computer reading posts proved to be too much - and as for typing...not a hope. I'm still rather shaky but thought I could do some research and paperwork type stuff today. Hopefully I will be back up to speed by Monday and will catch up with some of the posts I've missed.

Aw, Bee, I'm sorry. Yes, I did notice your absence and I missed you as a matter of fact. I'm glad you're on the mend.

EmmaRose
11-09-2009, 02:25 PM
I also got mine from assay office £10 with a mini version too. I don't think anyone would worry too much at home parties though!
Em

Solunar Silver Studio
11-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Thanks all - I didn't realise you could get them from the Assay Office - I'll get one with my next batch! You are a great bunch - thank you![[]]
Thanks for your get well wishes too - I'm still a bit on the 'pathetic' side but I am feeling more like me today - so I'm heading in the right direction!

MuranoSilver
12-09-2009, 10:11 PM
The assay offices now, are plainly out to make money any way they can, hence all the valuation services they promote, and treat the job they were set up to do with contempt, and as a nuicance.
I seriously doubt any case has been bought in recent years, over consumer jewellery, other than prosecution for faking hallmarks which are sold so dodgily, the hallmark should be the last thing on your mind...

I have found both the Edinburgh AND London Assay offices to be helpful (haven't dealt with the others) and the folks there have bent over backward to help. The hallmark is a legal requirement (whatever your personal view) and bearing in mind the amount of shonky tricksters out there anything that protects both the consumer AND the industry has got to be a good thing...
So they made a mistake 15 years ago we all do.... and I'm sure mistakes are still made, however the thousands upon thousands of pieces they mark are in the majority of cases done swiftly and professionally.

The penalty for faking hallmarks is readable here:Crown Prosecution Service Hallmarks (http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/counterfeiting_hallmarks/)

Ben, I'm sure that your intention isn't to deliberately mislead people....but advice that a Hallmark should be the "last thing on your mind" is reckless on a forum that hosts inexperienced / new Jewellery makers.
This is taken from the Assay Office Londons Question and Answer Section (http://www.assayofficelondon.co.uk/q-and-a.html) (a nice clear guide thanks Assay Office!)
It is against the law in the course of a trade or business to sell or describe precious metal articles in the UK that are un-hallmarked and above the weight exemptions. Trading Standards Officers have the power to seize any items that do not comply with the 1973 Hallmarking Act which can lead to prosecution and a fine of up to £5,000 per article.
More info including weight etc can be found under the question and answer link of phoning them.

I would hope that new jewellery makers have met a lot of the Assay office folks at the jewellery shows and colleges they attend. If you haven't go and meet them, they're lovely folks and very helpful!
nic x

kymbi
12-09-2009, 11:20 PM
I got a small hallmarking card free from our local trading standards people when they held an open day at greenwich craft market where I have a stall - the smaller card is quite handy to put in a small acrylic holder at the side of the stall.

Solunar Silver Studio
13-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Oooooerrrrrrr!! What did I miss??!!:dontknow:

Whatever it was....

I am really happy that I registered my hallmark. I do make chains that are over 7.8 so it was a given that I would have to anyway - but I do mark my other chains and pmc pendants too - even if they are not that heavy. (I do draw the line at earrings though - they have to be really special for me to consider getting the pair hallmarked!)

For me it works as a customer confidence thing. Most people wouldn't have a clue if what you are selling is silver or not...and in my case - they wouldn't know the difference between 925 and 999. My hallmark proves to them that I am selling them the real deal....even if it does only weigh 3 or 4 grams...they know it is pure silver.:Y:

It also adds a bit of kudos. If someone has a personal hallmark - then they are not a fly by night salesman...(woman)....but someone who is committed to what they are making and cares enough to put their official, registered mark onto it.

I've just not seen it written down before that you have to display the hallmark information card wherever you are selling to the public....and I still can't see the card advertised on the Assay websites....I'll have to email them tomorrow and see what they have on offer!

.....And I thought I was asking an innocent question....didn't expect nuclear fallout all over the forum this morning!!:-O...sorry!!

kymbi
13-09-2009, 11:07 AM
I'm not sure if you can purchase the hallmark chart online from the Assay Office, but there is a link to download the form to order one via post

http://www.assayofficelondon.co.uk/docs/Hallmarking_(DN2)_Notice.pdf

Solunar Silver Studio
02-10-2009, 08:44 AM
I stumbled over the Birmingham Assay Office site this morning whilst looking for something else and noticed that they had a 'Download Area', so I have had a quick look. They have a downloadable Dealer's Notice and a Hallmarking Guidance Notes booklet (which I have downloaded and made up as a little 12 page booklet) which I think I will take with me to the parties I do in future so that I can make more of a feature of my hallmark. There is quite a lot of interesting info on the site...including a step by step of how an item is assayed. I thought it was good anyway....:)

Here's the link anyway...The Birmingham Assay Office (http://www.theassayoffice.co.uk/)

MuranoSilver
02-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Oooh great info thanks Barbara :):Y:

snow_imp
02-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Back to hallmarking again - I had a chat with the Edinburgh assay office yesterday, as others have said, they were really helpful and didn't mind all my really silly questions. Upshot of the chat, they are sending me the registration documents to complete. =:-O

What have I done!!!! =:-O

Green Monster
02-10-2009, 09:38 AM
a peev I have with hallmarks is they are supposed to represent a guarentee to the customer of metal quality etc, but my hall mark is ( and was recomended as a suitable size to use by the assay office) so small it is only visible (and then only just ) with a 10 times loupe. If it is such a major part of guarenteeing the goods why is it so darn impossible to see clearly, for many folk you could stamp a small channel l in the metal and they would not know whether it was a hallmark or not.

I think they should be clearer. I think I will order a larger sponsors stamp and request larger assay marks, most of my work tends to be a bit bolder so it will take the larger mark and I want customers to see the "guarentee".

rant over....
Cheers
G

Ominicci
02-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Barbara - The Hallmarking Act section 11 states that any dealer in precious metals must display the Dealer's Notice (I assume that anyone selling is a 'dealer'). See the 'Selling precious metal in the UK' download on the B'ham AO site (bad quality pdf tho'!). I'm sure also read somewhere that the Notice had to be the larger version (trying to find that reference now....).

This possibly;
The B'ham site does say The Birmingham Assay Office (http://www.theassayoffice.co.uk/dealers_notices.html) 'This must be the notice produced by the British Hallmarking Council...Photocopies and other photographic reproductions are not acceptable. And the download says it is an 'example'.

Ominicci
02-10-2009, 09:44 AM
I agree with you G! I tried very hard to order the next hallmark size up from the smallest one but was shouted down. I want to make lockets and boxes so may get another larger one, then ask for the smaller one back so they only have the bigger one to use lol :-"

snow_imp
02-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Hm, yesterday having explained about the chain maille bracelets etc I was also told I had to use the smallest punch. This is probably right since I'm using 1 mm wire for the rings etc, but I had assumed it was "readable" fairly clearly but maybe that isn't true. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Ominicci
02-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Will be interested to see the result as you say Anne. I too had a discussion (with Edinburgh) about that. But the hallmark is 0.5mm high so technically it should fit width-wise, but I wonder about the length and curving it around the jumpring shape... I had though about maybe using a larger jumpring as part of the clasps, but that would only work if it suited the design.

snow_imp
02-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Will be interested to see the result as you say Anne. I too had a discussion (with Edinburgh) about that. But the hallmark is 0.5mm high so technically it should fit width-wise, but I wonder about the length and curving it around the jumpring shape... I had though about maybe using a larger jumpring as part of the clasps, but that would only work if it suited the design.

I do actually tend to put larger jump rings around the clasp - because otherwise trying to get a clasp to hook into a jump ring with an inner diameter of 3.25 mm is REALLY fiddly. So yesterday the man I was talking to said they would mark whichever ring I indicated to mark so that could be one of the small ones or one of the large ones. I was planning to ask them to mark the larger ring as I think it would be far easier to mark and more visible too.

Trudy
02-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Sorry if this has been asked before but I wondered if there any advantage on using one assay office over another? Ive seen that some people have used an office which is not their closest one and I wondered why.....And also once you have registered with one are you able to drop things in to a different one to be marked?

snow_imp
02-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before but I wondered if there any advantage on using one assay office over another? Ive seen that some people have used an office which is not their closest one and I wondered why.....And also once you have registered with one are you able to drop things in to a different one to be marked?

I chose to phone the Edinburgh one 'cos a couple of people said they were very friendly and helpful - and 'cos I like the castle mark they use for hallmarking. No other reason applied for me.

agent_44
02-10-2009, 01:28 PM

I was wondering this, as Birmingham is my closest, but the Scottish one seems to offer discounts for students (which I intend to take up once I am a student)

snow_imp
02-10-2009, 01:35 PM
I was wondering this, as Birmingham is my closest, but the Scottish one seems to offer discounts for students (which I intend to take up once I am a student)

Yesterday I asked if I had to live in Scotland to use the Edinburgh office and the answer was "No". Then they told me that they get a lot of work from people and businesses based in and around the midlands. :)

Ominicci
03-10-2009, 01:07 PM
I use the Edinburgh one as I liked the castle mark too!! (But I often use the London/Birmingham websites for info as I find the Edinburgh one a bit lacking!!)

snow_imp
04-10-2009, 08:03 AM
I use the Edinburgh one as I liked the castle mark too!! (But I often use the London/Birmingham websites for info as I find the Edinburgh one a bit lacking!!)

Yeah I noticed that too - the Edinburgh site does seem very simple with much less detail than the Birmingham office so I may do the same as you.