PDA

View Full Version : Mordent app not working?

enigma
28-09-2016, 11:10 PM
The Mordent app isn't working for me, does anybody know of another one that gives shank lengths for different widths and thicknesses of rings please?
I only use it as a rough guide for making the initial cut but am lost without it as I tend to do 10-20 rings at a time so need something quick and easy.

Faith
29-09-2016, 12:03 AM
Hi Sarah,

I use:

Shank length = 3.1416 x ( internal diameter of ring + height of shank material )

And then used to add on the width of my saw blade (as per Cookson description) if I was going to saw through the join.

Its pretty accurate, although u probably don't need to bother with the saw blade part if stretching slightly after.

Faith :)

enigma
29-09-2016, 12:23 AM
Thanks Faith

I would prefer an app or chart as it would take me a while to do the maths for all the rings at once- not being lazy honest just so pressed for time :/

trialuser
29-09-2016, 02:28 AM
Do you mean not working as in wrong, or not working as in broken. Is that the app whereby it won't work unless you use capitals, just a thought, I'm at work at the moment so can't check.

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

Dennis
29-09-2016, 04:04 AM
I'm puzzled by that Sarah, but then I dont calculate anything, but just make about a size smaller and stretch.

However Our member Wallace painstakingly came up with this, which was appreciated at the time:

http://www.sleepingdragon.co.uk/uploads/2/6/0/9/26090340/ring_metal_sizes_1-3mm_a-z6.pdf

Dennis.

trialuser
29-09-2016, 06:19 AM
Not a solution, but yes it is the app which requires you to use capital letters in the ring size field, but I checked just now and it's not working for me either - even with capitals.
There is also a free downloadable chart on the 'at the bench' website run by Andrew Berry.

enigma
29-09-2016, 08:57 AM
Perfect thanks Dennis, I did recall you had posted that before but I hadn't saved it and couldn't find it again in a search last night.
Thanks Trialuser, good to know its not just me its not working for, odd though.

Faith
29-09-2016, 11:20 AM
Thanks Faith

I would prefer an app or chart as it would take me a while to do the maths for all the rings at once- not being lazy honest just so pressed for time :/

Oh I see what you mean now - sorry!

Faith

enigma
29-09-2016, 02:08 PM
No worries, thanks for helping anyway :)

Unhindered
30-09-2016, 09:37 AM
theres a reference sheet on at the bench if that's any help