PDA

View Full Version : Ganoksin goes Pay-Per-View

Paul Kay
16-09-2016, 01:48 PM
If anyone visits the Ganoksin Forum, they have gone pay-per-view today $4 per month and upwards. There is a link to apply for free membership for past mailing list users, but I've not received a response yet. Though I'm also not sure if they have migrated the forum to the new platform yet either, as it says due mid-Sept when you try to access it.

ps_bond
16-09-2016, 01:59 PM
That's a great pity; it's been a resource I've used off and on since it was launched but in recent years the quality of the community content has been so atrocious that I stopped bothering with it. I had to unsubscribe from the list due to the signal to noise ratio. I can understand the need to monetise, but I wouldn't be surprised if that kills it completely.

Paul Kay
16-09-2016, 02:05 PM
...due to the signal to noise ratio.

Ditto, didn't take the feed, just visited as a resource as and when I needed. Though some of the threads were highly entertaining!

mizgeorge
16-09-2016, 02:08 PM
I also unsubbed a while ago. The 'change of ownership' was a very signal that a request for money was coming next. I've found a lot of the content useful over the years (if not always easy to read), and will miss it, but only a little.

ps_bond
16-09-2016, 02:27 PM
Ah, is it no longer Hanuman's baby?

mizgeorge
16-09-2016, 03:15 PM
https://www.ganoksin.com/about/

metalsmith
16-09-2016, 06:07 PM
https://www.ganoksin.com/about/

Shame that; I wonder how that stands with the many contributions / donations of material that I'm sure will have been made in the knowledge they were furthering the cause.

Goldsmith
18-09-2016, 09:53 AM
Just for information, the new Ganoksin website offers free membership to old contributors who are on their old email list when Hanuman ran the site.

James

Aurarius
18-09-2016, 01:31 PM
Just for information, the new Ganoksin website offers free membership to old contributors who are on their old email list when Hanuman ran the site.

James
Presumably by "contributor" you mean a person who has contributed an article of some kind. If so, whilst I can see a quite reasonable reward concept in operation there, all it's doing is incentivizing access* to the information on the site for the relatively small number of people who arguably least need access to it in the first place.
*as well as encouraging further contributions, no doubt.

Goldsmith
18-09-2016, 01:36 PM
Presumably by "contributor" you mean a person who has contributed an article of some kind. If so, whilst I can see a quite reasonable reward concept in operation there, all it's doing is incentivizing access* to the information on the site for the relatively small number of people who arguably least need access to it in the first place.
*as well as encouraging further contributions, no doubt.

On the Ganoksin Orchid forum section it states at the top of the page; Welcome! Become a member, to post in this forum.If you were a member of the old Orchid email list, Contact Us for your new free account. S
So if you ever wrote on the Orchid forum, you are on their emailling list and are offered a free membership.

Aurarius
18-09-2016, 01:49 PM
So if you ever wrote on the Orchid forum, you are on their emailling list and are offered a free membership.
I wish them all the best with their venture then, and hope for their sake their existing membership is long-lived, because it doesn't require great powers of divination to predict that they won't be attracting many new members under the new regime.

palawler
19-09-2016, 03:26 PM
I was initially disappointed to read of the change, but am being cautiously optimistic after having taken advantage of the free membership offered to members of the old site. As one who is ever thirsty to learn more, I have found the Orchid archives a valuable tool. Searching the archives on the new site is much easier. My "contributions" to the old Orchid forum consisted of submission of a question or two, and the resultant replies from other members were very helpful and much appreciated. I do hope those who have been committed to sharing knowledge will migrate to the new site and that the community will prevail. As I gain more knowledge I will certainly be willing to share.

Goldsmith
19-09-2016, 05:10 PM
I also took advantage of the free membership offer, if anyone else has written on the Orchid site take advantage of the free offer as it won't be available for ever.

James

ps_bond
19-09-2016, 05:40 PM
It was interesting to see a 50% off offer to previous subscribers, so I'd assume it's a short-term freebie.

Paul Kay
19-09-2016, 06:09 PM
It looks like 'browsing' the forum and resources is still free for the time being, membership only being needed to ask questions and respond in the forum