PDA

View Full Version : curved cab

frankydean
10-09-2016, 11:24 AM
I have a nice curved cab i am stumped with, I would like to turn into a silver pendant, what would be the best way to make a bezel for a stone this shape, any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Frank

Dennis
10-09-2016, 01:00 PM
It's a fine stone. Use 0.4 mm thick fine silver strip, only just wider than the edge of the stone. Score the middle and fold to a point there for one end.
Then smooth both sides over the stone edges and cut and solder the other end. It needs to be snug, but not tight.
Once you are pleased with the fit, solder on a back plate of 0.7mm sterling. Then trim edges upright but close, or leave a narrow border if preferred.

The danger now is that if you try the stone in it will stick. So lay plenty of dental floss across the base first to yank it out by.

Three more things to do:
It will be rather heavy, so cut a shape out of the backplate to lighten it.
Add a jump ring to suspend it by.
Then set the stone. Dennis.

frankydean
10-09-2016, 01:31 PM
thanks Dennis
Frank

mizgeorge
10-09-2016, 01:40 PM
Do be careful about where you set the jump ring/bail - it's the sort of shape that can easily end up looking wonky if it's not hanging from the right point! A bit of experimentation with a twist of wire secured by tape could save you a lot of annoyance later.

frankydean
10-09-2016, 01:58 PM
Yes i was wondering about that, cheers,
Frank

metalsmith
11-09-2016, 10:10 AM
Lovely Bruneau (/Bruno) Jasper, will make a great finished piece. Even though I'm not so keen on brown, I've succumbed to a slab or two.

frankydean
11-09-2016, 02:01 PM
Yes it is a nice stone,I must try and do it justice,
Frank