PDA

View Full Version : Tube cutter

Unhindered
10-09-2016, 09:21 AM
Can I have recommendations for tube cutters please? And is a mitre/jewellers jig worth a purchase?

Thank you :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goldsmith
10-09-2016, 10:04 AM
Are you after tube cutters or levellers? I assume that you mean a joint leveller as you mentioned the mitre jig. Well it really depends on what you want to do, The mitre jigs can be a very useful tool when shaping sections, but if you are planning on making a box joint then the joint levellers with a handle can make working easier, like this one from Cookson; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Joint-Filing-Tool-prcode-999-596

These were not available when I first started so we had to make our own tube levellers, which we called "Joint Tools" I made my first one using an old file tang, then later on I made a thinner one using a piece of ground flat stock steel. After gripping a length of tube in the joint tool I just cut the tube with a piercing saw and then file the end square using an old smooth flat file filing against the hardened steel joint tool flat face.

These are my joint tools which have served me well throughout my career;

James

Paul Kay
10-09-2016, 11:00 AM
James,

Those are quite simply magnificent, and remind me of the tools my father used to make (he was a bench jeweller/out-worker/some time silversmith/occasional teacher). I wouldn't mind betting that no one in the UK makes their own these days, or at least rarely does so.

Unhindered
10-09-2016, 11:02 AM
I'm looking for both James, I don't have either, initially was just looking at tube cutters and then saw the mitre jig in the same section so mentioned that too.

Thank you for showing me those are very impressive

Maree Hart
10-09-2016, 11:25 AM
I only use a mitre jig to file square the rather wonky cuts I make with my piercing saw. It only takes a few seconds to do.

Only if I do more work in gold will I go for some tube cutters as they may pay for themselves with a bit less gold filings on the carpet.

Goldsmith
10-09-2016, 11:30 AM
I'm looking for both James, I don't have either, initially was just looking at tube cutters and then saw the mitre jig in the same section so mentioned that too.

Thank you for showing me those are very impressive

Both of my joint tools are hardened steel so to cut tube I just grip it in the tool and then use a piercing saw, with the blade teeth turned slightly towards the flat steel surface when cutting and this gives a square cut that needs very little filing flat.
I used these tools when making all of the box joints on my eggs over the years.

James
James Miller FIPG

LydiaNiz
10-09-2016, 12:00 PM
I use my mitre jig to hold tube while I cut, and to file angles on tube, wire and sheet. I love it!

Dennis
10-09-2016, 01:22 PM
If you are going to cut several tubes of the same length, this one is unbeatable, because it also has a length gauge.

The trick with these is to use a blade which fits the slot well, so that the cut is as perfect as possible. The handle can be held in a vice, or a notch in your bench peg to steady it.

You can also add a spare plastic lid from a jar to catch you cuttings

Alternatively you can use the mitre jig as suggested by Lydia, to have a multi purpose tool. Dennis

mizgeorge
10-09-2016, 01:37 PM
I cut a lot of tube, and for basic stuff, I still just reach for my plumbers wheel style cutter.

When I want something better, or if I'm working with short lengths of tube (or thicker wire for that matter) it's mitre jig for me (which also has a length gauge). I can cut and file absolutely straight without having to change tools and I like being to cut different angles as well (I have both three one four part jigs).

It is one of those tools where you can't get away with the absolute cheapest version though - I know people who've had bad experiences with jigs that don't line up properly.

Dennis
10-09-2016, 01:44 PM
I didn't get a length gauge with my mitre jig, George. They didn't send you two by any chance did they? Dennis.

Unhindered
10-09-2016, 02:40 PM
Which brand do you use Lydia? I used one at uni but havent since!

Unhindered
10-09-2016, 02:41 PM
is there any in particular you recommend george? :)

Unhindered
10-09-2016, 02:42 PM
Thanks Dennis, its not for a particular job just general use! Thank you for the recommendation :)

Paul Kay
10-09-2016, 06:23 PM
James thank you for the angled blade tip and Dennis thank you for the slot-sized blade and jar top catcher tips, I think that's the 3 main problems I've had with these tools solved in one thread.

mizgeorge
10-09-2016, 07:29 PM
I didn't get a length gauge with my mitre jig, George. They didn't send you two by any chance did they? Dennis.

I've got at least three Dennis - and never use any of them. Drop me a pm to remind me of your address, and I'll happily send you one of them :)

LydiaNiz
11-09-2016, 04:04 PM
mine was from cookson, but didn't have a length gauge so you may want to go with George's version

Patstone
12-09-2016, 11:53 AM
Brilliant idea, just finished a large nutella jar too.