PDA

View Full Version : Did I Invent The Laser?

geti-titanium
10-09-2009, 10:44 PM
It may be possible that years ago as a lad, rummaging around my parents garden with my trusty magnifying glass, waiting for those elusive rays of Summer sunlight so that I could start my next fire or frazzle a poor unsuspecting ant, that the very act of starting those fires that plagued the neighbourhood, could have been the humble beginnings of what laser technology has become today.

I may not have been thinking of building a machine that was capable of laser joining inlays or laser engraving intricate patterns on rings at the time, but I may have been responsible for a catalogue of achievements that led to their development.

geti-titanium
10-09-2009, 10:47 PM
I just found out....

The Laser (which is an acronym of Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation) was invented by the Egyptian Sun God ‘Ra’ some 4,000 years ago from little more than a crudely polished 15 carat rough diamond. He managed to harness the suns light power (being a God of course!) through that diamond and used it to laser engrave hieroglyphics on to the walls of the pyramids which can be seen to this very day.

Modern day lasers are a modification of this basic process invented all those years ago.

ps_bond
11-09-2009, 05:54 AM
That's not from Wikipedia is it, Alan?
:D

bustagasket
11-09-2009, 06:08 AM
I do worry about you sometimes Alan :P

geti-titanium
11-09-2009, 06:32 AM
I do worry about you sometimes Alan :P

Worry about me not, I get to spend the weekends in my own special padded room - I'm not keen on wearing the straightjacket though :)

bustagasket
11-09-2009, 06:47 AM
blimy Alan, how come you get all the fun? *sulks*

Lindyloo
11-09-2009, 08:52 AM
You seem to have too much time on your hands Alan. And if you think that using the English summer sun with your magnifying glass on ants was fun. Can you imagine the fun I had using the Australian sun with my magnifying glass as a child? =:-O

Kids don't know what they're missing these days.

agent_44
11-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Poor ants, that's all I'm saying!

EmmaRose
11-09-2009, 01:18 PM
I had to say I thought it was going to be some kind of a cunning acronym when I read the title of this post.
Never bothered with magnifying glass- my parents used a kettle on the flying ones.
Em