PDA

View Full Version : Need help with finding identification

ThirdhanhdHarpy
02-09-2016, 02:14 PM
Hi,

I have been trying to find these findings for the last few days, and I unfortunately cannot find them or even what they'd be called. At the moment I am buying them from broken necklaces but I would really love to just be able to buy them out right for my personal necklace project.

I would extremely appreciate your help finding these. I am so lost and I have tried looking into soo many different terms and I have not found anything.
Thank you!!!

CJ57
02-09-2016, 02:34 PM
Can't say I've seen them either and you'll probably find they are made to fit each crystal. They would be called a bail and are often more likely to be sourced from the US if you can get them

Goldsmith
02-09-2016, 02:39 PM
The pendants are called crystal points available without mounts from many suppliers, even Amazon, just Google crystal point pendants UK and you will see a lot of suppliers of crystals with or without mounts, as to buying ready made findings/mounts, this may be difficult because as the crystal points come in all shapes and sizes it would not be worth anyone making readymades, most who sell them make their own pendant mounts. Like glitterandgem on this forum who is a lapidary and makes his own jewellery, see; http://www.glitterandgem.co.uk/#!collections/c1faw

James

Dennis
02-09-2016, 06:25 PM
You obviously must take the crystals as your starting point (no pun intended) and as already said by James, they have no standard sizes.

If you do not like wire wrapping, it would be a relatively simple task, to wrap a strip of fine silver around the top and solder the ends. Bezel strip from Cookson is soft enough to do it. This bezel could then be soldered to a base plate and trimmed to form a neat cap with lastly a jump ring added in an easier solder, to hang it by.

The crystal could simply be glued in place with superglue gel, or two part epoxy adhesive.

Below is my more elaborate variation, using a drilled crystal and rivet. Dennis.

china
03-09-2016, 06:35 AM
As said above you make them to order as crystals do not come in calibrated form they are all slightly different size

03-09-2016, 08:34 AM
If you find yourself using more standard sized components you are looking at what is often sold as a cord end cap and some times a bell end cap (no tittering in the ranks!) they are used to tidy up multiple cord ends or woven cords and 9 times out of 10 are round holed though I have seen them square and hexagonal. Rarely see sterling silver only plated.. If you get thin walled silver ones you can sometimes coax the hole out of shape enough to mount a shaped pendant and gently hammer it closed but really the simplest way is to make your own As Dennis and China said.

I use the fine silver bezel strip to make the walls and sterling silver for the closed end.. And it only takes a few minutes start to finish

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

ThirdhanhdHarpy
03-09-2016, 02:42 PM
If you find yourself using more standard sized components you are looking at what is often sold as a cord end cap and some times a bell end cap (no tittering in the ranks!) they are used to tidy up multiple cord ends or woven cords and 9 times out of 10 are round holed though I have seen them square and hexagonal. Rarely see sterling silver only plated.. If you get thin walled silver ones you can sometimes coax the hole out of shape enough to mount a shaped pendant and gently hammer it closed but really the simplest way is to make your own As Dennis and China said.

I use the fine silver bezel strip to make the walls and sterling silver for the closed end.. And it only takes a few minutes start to finish

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for the reply. I have looked into all the different types of caps but unfortunately haven't found them but that's ok because I am just going to go with what everyone elese has suggested and do wire wrapping. I also have order some products to some soldered copper tape ones so hopefully it should all go well. ^_^