PDA

View Full Version : Hammering 1.50mm square wire

Patstone
29-08-2016, 06:30 AM
I am trying to replicate a necklace I bought years ago, but in silver as the original was silver plate and the plating has come off to reveal copper underneath.
It is made of 1mm square silver wire pieces about an inch long (I want mine out of 1.50mm) held together by a couple of jump rings with a bead in the centre, so you have an inch length of square wire, then a jump ring then a piece of round wire with a crystal bead then a jump ring and another length of square wire etc.
The problem I have is when I tried to hammer the ends of the square wire flat to enable me to drill a hole to fix a jump ring but the square wire kept breaking. I eventually soldered on jump rings but it looks a bit clunky and wondered why it wouldnt hammer flat at the ends, any ideas please.

Dennis
29-08-2016, 08:11 AM
Metal hardens quickly, and then cracks. I think you were trying to go too far without annealing again and possibly using too heavy a hammer.

To anneal, heat briefly to just visible red and then pickle, so as not to ingrain the surface oxides. To avoid wasting silver, you can in future do a test piece in copper first. Dennis.

Patstone
29-08-2016, 12:16 PM
I wondered if it was a lack of annealing, the soldered on jumping look OK, not finished yet but I will post a pic when finished. It's only for me anyway so not cr.itical to get it perfect.

Dennis
29-08-2016, 04:09 PM
Ah but that's just what it is: the road to perfection. Unachievable for most of us. Dennis

Jasdir Singh Jaura
09-09-2016, 02:01 PM
I am trying to replicate a necklace I bought years ago, but in silver as the original was silver plate and the plating has come off to reveal copper underneath.
It is made of 1mm square silver wire pieces about an inch long (I want mine out of 1.50mm) held together by a couple of jump rings with a bead in the centre, so you have an inch length of square wire, then a jump ring then a piece of round wire with a crystal bead then a jump ring and another length of square wire etc.
The problem I have is when I tried to hammer the ends of the square wire flat to enable me to drill a hole to fix a jump ring but the square wire kept breaking. I eventually soldered on jump rings but it looks a bit clunky and wondered why it wouldnt hammer flat at the ends, any ideas please.

Step 1: Make Jump-Rings using 0.50 x 1.5 mm square silver wire.
Step 2: Solder Jump-rings on both the ends of 1.5 mm strait wire before molding it into any shape.
Step 3: Hammer the Jump-Rings from all four sides.
Step 4: File the excess solder between the Jump-Ring and wire.
Step 5: Finish the Jump-Ring hole using appropriate drill, or round file.

Finally, after that you can mold your wire pieces into any shape you want.

Hope that helps you :)

Jasdir.

Patstone
11-09-2016, 07:44 AM
Finished it, not to the best of my ability I'm afraid, but from a distance it looks ok.

Dennis
11-09-2016, 09:20 AM
It looks good Pat and a hundred times better than anything you can buy. Dennis.

Patstone
11-09-2016, 10:06 AM
Hubby said it looks like a slave necklace. That was before it was polished though.

Patstone
11-09-2016, 10:12 AM
Made a heart necklace for my niece for her 50th and a ring not sure if she wears rings, but if not I will make her something else.

The hearts are loose, the big heart has a real sapphire in, but the little one has a cubic zirconia in and the wire one is just wire. The ring I love, although another cubic zirconia. I may just have to make another almost one like it. Never make two things the same!!!!!

metalsmith
11-09-2016, 10:12 AM
Finished it, not to the best of my ability I'm afraid, but from a distance it looks ok.

What's wrongwith it?! It looks great ... congrats on the job well done

Patstone
11-09-2016, 10:18 AM
Its a bit wonky in places.

Faith
11-09-2016, 10:35 AM
I like it, and you can't see any wonky in the photo :) I like the look of the square wire and soldered jump ring sections especially.

Faith

Patstone
11-09-2016, 10:41 AM
I have a bit of trouble sawing jumprings as my hands are not strong enough now to hold the tube of jumprings to enable me to cut them. Need to see if I can get a hand exerciser to strengthen them.

CJ57
11-09-2016, 12:07 PM
:o:o
Hubby said it looks like a slave necklace. That was before it was polished though.

Has hubby had many slaves Pat or are there things that go on in Exeter we don't know about :0

enigma
11-09-2016, 01:17 PM
They look lovely Pat!

metalsmith
11-09-2016, 05:15 PM
I have a bit of trouble sawing jumprings as my hands are not strong enough now to hold the tube of jumprings to enable me to cut them. Need to see if I can get a hand exerciser to strengthen them.

Try slotting a drill-bit having the jump ring ID through the coil and just push the coil up the bit, sawing through the topmost jump ring, one by one against a bench peg. It still takes some strength to hold, but may make things easier.

Faith
11-09-2016, 05:32 PM
I don't make my own jump rings often, but when I do i do what Metalsmith said except with a wooden stick (cocktail sticks and those bamboo wooden scewers for cooking which are made conveniently variable in size). That way you can saw straight thru the wood. I find that much easier to hold.

Faith :)

Patstone
11-09-2016, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the info, i will give it a try. The skewer idea sounds more do-able for me. I had to snip the ones on the necklace, but of course although you get one flat side the other has a point which has to be snipped off. Thats why some of it has gone wonky.

china
12-09-2016, 03:38 AM
I was starting to have difficulty with the lack of strength in my hands and went to see a exercise physiologist who specialized in older people, he gave me exercise that I can do at home ( I have all the equipment ) and I have seen a great improvement in my entire body I was to the stage of researching knee replacement but not any more my hands have improved 100%, I no longer have to search for compound joint pliers etc.

Patstone
12-09-2016, 05:51 AM
My husband is contemplating having knee surgery and possibly hip replacement as he is in a lot of pain, being in the Army for 22 years has taken its toll. Still, one of the lucky ones, at least he came away from battles with his brain intact. I will try the hand exercisers, they are like springs which you squeeze together. The rest of me is ok, I have a lot to live up to - my mum is 99 later in the year, and still doing the cleaning of her bungalow and looking after my dad. She still uses the internet and sends me emails etc and her mobile phone is her lifeline.
She gives me her opinion on my jewellery as to whether its in fashion or not.