PDA

View Full Version : air graver versus Foredom hammer handpiece for setting?

enigma
28-08-2016, 10:45 AM
Im pondering buying an air graver having read some of the threads here and on the engraving forum about them.
Aside from the engraving aspect I was wondering about the stone setting side of things.
I find it virtually impossible to get a really smooth edge on a bezel when I use the hammer handpiece and wondered whether this would be the same with an air graver or is it easier to attain a smooth finish that doesn't require masses of clean up?
Im mostly talking about thicker gold bezels here that require a fair degree of pressure to push over.

Thanks in advance.

Didn't notice spellcheck had changed Foredom to boredom and it won't let me change the title now.....

ps_bond
28-08-2016, 12:05 PM
The Airgraver can set heavy bezels, but I use the micromotor hammer handpiece in preference. Having the Palmcontrol on mine means that I'm operating the tool as much as holding it in place; it's one of the few areas where I think a foot pedal might make more sense. However... There are handpieces around with greater power that will do things faster. The tungsten piston adds mass for heavy engraving, but it's still slow to move metal in comparison with others.

I know there are a few people prefer the Enset (I think Walsh now carry it?) for the setting side in particular; others still use the Gravermax with a heavy handpiece. I've seen more than a few recommendation for the Chicago Air Scribe as well.

I've changed the title for you, but I quite liked the original.

enigma
28-08-2016, 01:20 PM
Thanks Peter, decisions, decisions, I must admit Im rather taken by the burl handle on the Airgraver though LOL
I will go and check out the Enset, I think I saw it on the Walsh site yesterday.
Ive used the Graversmith I think rather than the max but only for my very first try at engraving- was certainly a lot easier than by hand but I have nothing else to compare against.

ps_bond
28-08-2016, 02:13 PM
IJL? Could always make sure Walsh bring one with them to demo. Sutton Tools/Betts will probably have the Gravermax with them as they're back this year.

Try as many as you can and remember some people can get very defensive about which one you should go for. They all do a roughly similar job, but each has its own strengths & weaknesses.
Of course, I'll disown anyone suggesting the Airgraver isn't the One True Powered Engraving System :D

enigma
28-08-2016, 02:45 PM
I would love to but Im living in Portugal now and no way I could get over for that weekend- my son starts his new school on the Monday on top of everything else.
Mind you probably just as well because looking at whats there I would probably be completely bankrupt by the time I got home :rofl:

ps_bond
28-08-2016, 02:48 PM
I would love to but Im living in Portugal now

Ah, missed that bit.

Mind you probably just as well because looking at whats there I would probably be completely bankrupt by the time I got home :rofl:

Transport costs alone...?!

enigma
28-08-2016, 03:58 PM
Lol! thats not so bad, its all those toys ( tools) and gemstones that will be in front of my eyes like a huge candy store!
Im bad enough online !

Gemsetterchris
01-09-2016, 07:19 AM
I only use the airgraver for cutting, hammering bezels I use the hammer handpiece.
You should get the same result with either & just takes abit of practice to smoothen things out (use the lowest power that works).

You might still want to finish off with a rubber wheel of some sort.

enigma
01-09-2016, 08:19 AM
Thanks Chris, I had a feeling that might be the case, I keep practising and it does get better but was hoping for a magic cure lol.
I bought an Air graver anyway now, it is my birthday this week so I figured WTH :dance:

Faith
01-09-2016, 10:06 AM
Ooo happy birthday :) glad I'm not the only one who immediately equates birthdays with new tool possibilities :)