PDA

View Full Version : Where is everybody?

geti-titanium
10-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Seems quiet tonight so I might as well just show you the latest creations from the GETi stable - 2 Ti/Palladium inlay variations and a new Black Zirconium Roman Numeral ring.

236 237 238

Kalorlo
10-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Beautiful as always. :Y: I particularly like the first one.

geti-titanium
10-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks everyone - I've got designs coming thick and fast at the moment - should have a Runic engraved one soon.

Loving it Alan, I want to make a ring the same as the middle one with two silver bands and gold running through the middle.

Easy peasy Jason - give me a shout if you need any tips or grooves cutting

geti-titanium
10-09-2009, 09:23 PM
2008 titanium ones with the red/orange contrasting trim and the blue

2008 titanium ones? Which ones are they?

caroleallen
10-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Your rings are so clean and neat. I'd love to see your equipment (absolutely no pun intended!). Maybe next year we should all meet up in Birmingham and you can give us a guided tour?

geti-titanium
10-09-2009, 09:35 PM
4020PRN-ANO Flat profile, twin anodised grooves Zirconium ring with external laser engraved Roman Numeral Date.

Oh yes.

The colour is achieved by electro anodising whereby the ring is immersed in a special salt bath and an electric current is passed through it.

There isn't actually any colour there at all, what happens is whatever voltage you pass through the ring thickens the oxide layer of the metal which has the effect of allowing light to pass through it but as it is reflected back the spectrum is split which allows you to see different colour light.

Different thicknesses of oxide layer show different colours.

It isn't the most durable of layers that's why we protect it in a recess.

The whole ring is 'coloured' and then we cut it back to leave the bits we want.

geti-titanium
10-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Maybe next year we should all meet up in Birmingham and you can give us a guided tour?

Of couse, no problem - I don't mind showing you my equipment :)

geti-titanium
10-09-2009, 09:46 PM
does it work on all ores?

No just the refractive metals , Titanium, Zirconium, Niobium etc.

The same effect can also be achieved by heat but electrickery is a lot more controllable - down to 0.1volt increments on my machine.

Aluminium is quite popular for anodising as a metal but it is a different process and can achieve a hard durable surface. (Which you might have seen on electronic products for eg.)

geti-titanium
10-09-2009, 09:52 PM
It wouldn't be impossible to rig up your own anodising unit with a little bit of know how. My dad made my first one which worked really well for a few years until it blew up one day. He's getting on in age now and I didn't want to bother him to fix it so I bought a professional machine.

geti-titanium
10-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Lucozade and Coca-Cola are supposed to be good anodising fluids to use instead of Ammonia Sulphate salts but I didn't find them to work very well.

geti-titanium
10-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Got another one coming next week - a tiny CNC lathe that fits on your desk that I will be using to re-machine rings with - it's quite funny compared to the beast that we have, it's like a little toy, the sort of thing you might have in your garage.

caroleallen
10-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Boys and their toys .....! :)

geti-titanium
10-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Boys and their toys .....!

Oh yes!

I'm in the 'lucky' position that to work with Titanium without relying on other people outside the company, we need our toys - it's Hell sometimes :dance:

caroleallen
10-09-2009, 10:18 PM
My heart bleeds!

geti-titanium
10-09-2009, 10:19 PM
This is the little one I have been dreaming of for 2 months! LOL

One of my customers has just had one of this type of machine for cutting party masks out of cardboard - doing quite well with the idea of printing anybodys face on them, he was on Dragons Den a few weeks ago but they didn't offer him any money.

caroleallen
10-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Actually, I'm soooooo jealous 'cos I like toys too.

geti-titanium
10-09-2009, 10:20 PM
My heart bleeds!

Do you need me to call a doctor? :-)

agent_44
11-09-2009, 09:08 AM
I simply Luuuuurrrrrvvvee the Roman Numerals ring!

EmmaRose
11-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Nice rings Alan. I love rings.
Sorry Mother was visiting last night :D
Em

EmmaRose
11-09-2009, 01:15 PM
PS would love to come for the tour of your equipment too Alan :)
And a play!