PDA

View Full Version : Tumble polishers

The Old Bat
10-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Hi everyone - I am looking for some advice from you experts out there re tumblers. I would love to buy one - have some birthday and Christmas money that I'm itching to spend, and as its almost Birthday time again, I might collect some more. The thing I really want to spend it on is a tumbler but don't know the first thing about using or buying one. I trust that they all come with very clear, easy to follow instructions. Are the rubber drum machines any better in terms of the finish they give pieces than plastic, I know they are quiteter but that's about it. Do I need to have any particular place to work it, or can you use them anywhere. I have only a small kitchen and the spare room is a bit cluttered with beading and picture framing goodies - do you need a large space to work it?

Any advice would be most gratefully appreciated
Many thanks :~:

Bev

bustagasket
10-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Hi Bev, i have just taken delivery of a tumbler (got the missing barrel this morning) and i got a Lortone 3a as it seemed to get some positive reviews here. But as i have not had a chance to use it yet, thats as far as my experience goes, so i will leave you in the capable hands of my fellow cookies :D

Petal
10-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Hi Bev,

There are loads of threads about this already.

I've attached a link to one of them here, if you don't find the info you are looking for, have a search on the forum, as you'll find tons more info.

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/jewellery-hints-tips-tutorials/26-polishing.html

Happy reading!

Love
Jules x

Kalorlo
10-09-2009, 12:21 PM
They don't need a lot of space - not that big! You might want to put it on a tray just in case it leaks, but otherwise it's a small motor with a drum... Noise will probably be the main consideration :D

MuranoSilver
10-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Yep they're pretty noisy things, the shot makes a huge difference get one with the little pins is as they really get in the nooks and crannies. Mines got a clear barrel which I find very useful when trying to find stuff
nicx

The Old Bat
10-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Jules - thanks for posting the thread - really great info, will do a search also.

Nic - I didn't think about finding stuff after being polished, you can see I need lots more info!!

Another question, if you have made something with swarovski crystals - can these be put into the tumbler. As for semi-precious stones, i'm aware that you wont be able to add porous ones, but are the others OK to include. Sorry if questions seem really silly! :confused:

Bev

mizgeorge
10-09-2009, 03:19 PM
It's OK to put plain crystals in the tumbler, but not any with a coating (AB, Vitrail etc), as this will be damaged by the action.

Stones are fine as long as they aren't friable or porous, and have a hardness of over 5.5 on the mohs scale, ie harder than stainless steel. Typically, I would avoid anything like turquoise, emerald, kyanite, apatite, fluourite and some feldspars (including good quality labradorite, though I don't worry about cheap beads), as well as pearls or other organics.

No question is silly - I wish I'd known before I tumbled some turquoise ;)

mizgeorge
10-09-2009, 03:21 PM
While I remember, here's my top tip for the day!

If you use stainless steel shot, the easiest way to sort your shot from your silver is to use a magnet. Preferably a nice big one. It will pick up the shot, but not the silver (unless you've tumbled something like a clasp with a steel spring).

This is especially useful if you've tumbled lots of little things like jump rings without wiring them together first!

The Old Bat
11-09-2009, 09:01 AM
If you use stainless steel shot, the easiest way to sort your shot from your silver is to use a magnet. Preferably a nice big one. It will pick up the shot, but not the silver (unless you've tumbled something like a clasp with a steel spring).

Great tip, George :ta:
It seems really obvious when pointed out - there's lots that I just wouldn't think of!! Just need to buy a tumbler and give it a go. Thanks too for info re stones.

Bev

agent_44
11-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Yep they're pretty noisy things, the shot makes a huge difference get one with the little pins is as they really get in the nooks and crannies.
nicx

I'd say that the pins are a nightmare depending on what you are making! Previously I have done a lot of wire work and chainmail and the pins get trapped everywhere and are a total pain. I took all the pins out of my shot, and it's much easier for me now.

mizgeorge
11-09-2009, 10:39 AM
I don't think things polish up well without the pins though. If I'm tumbling something like a chain with a hollow centre (where pins can get caught), I thread a piece of wire or cord through the middle and this stops them getting in there!

Ominicci
11-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the tips George!

I have resisted taking my pins out after reading about people trying to find pins to buy so it's another one of those suck and see situations.

I usually empty my tumber into a fine mesh sieve and take out all the big bits of silver then empty it on to a tray covered with a tea towel and spread the shot out to find the rest. Then I can leave the shot on the tea towel to dry, as I prefer to put my dry shot in a grip top bag than keep it covered with water.