PDA

View Full Version : Beading Wire breaking

Kermit
10-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Hi All.

I am hoping someone can help me with a problem I have having with beading wire. I use Beadalon 7 strand 0.018" or 0.012" for necklaces and bracelets. I've never had a problem with the necklaces but I have had several bracelets break. I attach clasps / space beads with crimps - I've tried both the tubes and the beads.

I also have used Illusion Cord / Monofilament but have come to the conclusion that this is too delicate and the crimps cut the cord. So what are you supposed to use with this??

I would really appreciate some advice as I obviously don't want to sell something that is going to break!

bustagasket
10-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Hi Kermit welcome to the forums, lots of clever peeps here who will, I am sure, soon be able to help you with your query :D:~:

MuranoSilver
10-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Hi Kermit
:welcome: to the forum
I know this might sound daft but have you checked it's not the beads cutting the wire. Sometimes the wear and tear that bracelets get makes the edge of the bead chip and that cuts the wire....
nic x

Di Sandland
10-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Kermit, try using some heavier wire - 49 is best for things that might abrade it.

mizgeorge
10-09-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm not much of a stringer, but when I do, for bracelets, I'll always use 49 strand, and I try to go for a 0.024 (with a .019 as a minimum).

Are your breakages happening at the crimp point or elsewhere? If it's at the crimp, it could be a problem with the crimps themselves, or the pliers.

Emerald
10-09-2009, 11:58 AM
I'm not much of a stringer, but when I do, for bracelets, I'll always use 49 strand, and I try to go for a 0.024 (with a .019 as a minimum).

Welcome to the forum, Kermit

i use this aswell, the only time mine breaks is if i havent crimped it properly, i dont use illusion cord so i am afraid i cant help you on that one:)

Petal
10-09-2009, 11:59 AM
:~: Hi Kermit,

I'm a bit of a stringer ! and I almost always use .018 diam 49 strand, especially for heavier beads. If the beads are a bit lighter, then .015 is ok too. When you crimp your crimps, remember to hold the wires so that they are at either ends of the crimp, not in the middle. You then press the crimp twice, first in the 2nd rounded bit of your pliers, then turn it round and crimp it in the first rounded bit (hope you like the techy terms used here!). Then get some pliers and pull the end of the wire you have crimped. You'll soon know if you have done it properly, because if the crimp hasn't caught, it will break at this point! If its ok, then just feed about an inch of your wire back into the beads, cut the rest off and carry on.

Let us know how you get on. ;)

[]
Love
Jules x

Kermit
10-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks all. I'll definately try the 49 strand. I have had a problem with beads that are sharp on the inside - particularly some big chunky glass beads I had - so I've stopped using them. Other times the wire has broken at the crimp. I am using the proper crimping pliers - will have to ensure that I'm doing it properly EVERY time...!

I used to do mainly necklaces but am really getting into doing bracelets lately and they are popular.

Thanks again - I'll let you know how I get on when I've bought some 49!

Emerald
10-09-2009, 01:02 PM
p.s i use flex-rite same as beadalon but cheaper:)

EmmaRose
10-09-2009, 01:05 PM
When you crimp your crimps, remember to hold the wires so that they are at either ends of the crimp, not in the middle.
Love
Jules x

Hi Petal can you just explain that in more detail? Me :confused: or a quick diagram??
Thanks
Em

MuranoSilver
10-09-2009, 02:21 PM
I think it's so when you crimp it using a crimping tool one wire ends up in each little tube. The crimping tool squishes the middle leaving what looks like a figure 8 with a wire in each side. If your wires are in the middle they get crushed with the crimp and are more likely to get cut by the sharp edge
nicx

EmmaRose
10-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Ahh getcha. Thanks :)

Petal
10-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Sorry about that, had to pop out.

I'm just doing another bracelet, I'll post some piccies of how to crimp....

here we are:-

see how you get on. apologies for the look of the tape on my clamp thing. That was a last minute thing, as it marked the toggle clasp I was going to use #-o

well, its a lovely sunny day and now off to a ton of gardening! have a lovely evening...... no burnt offerings tonite as its my OH's turn to cook the dinner ! :-D

love
Jules x

Kermit
07-10-2009, 07:13 PM
p.s i use flex-rite same as beadalon but cheaper:)

Hi Emerald

Just wondering which supplier you use for the flex-rite?

Thanks

Jane

Emerald
07-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Hi Emerald

Just wondering which supplier you use for the flex-rite?

Thanks

Jane

Hi Jane, I used to buy it from just beads but not sure if they still stock it, but the last lot i got from a bullion dealers starting with a p, or e-bay :)

mizgeorge
07-10-2009, 07:45 PM
I get mine here if it's any help

Beadsmith Flexrite Beading Wire (http://www.thecrystalphoenix.com/beadsmith-flexrite-beading-wire-113-c.asp)

Emerald
07-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Thanks George i will keep that in mind the last time i tried to buy it i had real difficulty so i bought quite a few from the P placex

Kermit
07-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Thanks. I've just ordered some so will have to see how I get on. I'm having a bit of a sort out with what I'm making / materials used at the moment to try and refocus so I'm wanting a few new things to inspire me!

lesley
08-10-2009, 08:01 PM
If you think it might be the crimps have you tried twisted crimps?
I've also seen them called Tornado or Cyclone crimps. The tube is twisted so you just need to squish it flat and it grips the wire.
Some crimps can be a bit thin and sharp but these are more substantial, and attractive enough to leave uncovered. Of course, they're also more expensive. :)
Don't know if Cooksons have them. I think I got mine from here:

Crimps & Crimping Pliers (http://www.thecrystalphoenix.com/crimps--crimping-pliers-38-c.asp)

although I'm sure I've seen them on Ebay.

If I do any stringing I use Beadalon 49 strand.