PDA

View Full Version : Rose Silver ?

tessie
13-07-2016, 07:47 PM
Hi !!

Just a really quick question...Can you make Rose Silver ? I was wondering as I saw some Rose Gold and wondered if you added Copper to 925 Silver would this make Rose Silver ?

TTFN

silverlining
13-07-2016, 08:11 PM
At best it would make a light copper colour and increase the already existent copper content of the silver, I'd assume.

I'd find it a bit pointless tbh.

Maybe it's just my mind creating the above but it sounds weird :)

Dennis
13-07-2016, 08:26 PM
Not an expensive experiment to try, but colour is not the only consideration. For instance it would be more prone to tarnish and firescale and would not be of hallmarking quality. Dennis.

Dennis
14-07-2016, 12:45 AM
I'd find it a bit pointless tbh.

Not pointless at all. If a metallurgist came up with a satisfactory alloy, it would be the rage of the High Street.

Whereas rose gold is yellow with a pink cast, this could be truly rosé. It would be pink and feminine and inexpensive and if overwhelmingly popular, Golsmiths Hall would have to give it a category: Rose Silver 825, perhaps.

Remember you read it here first. Dennis.

ps_bond
14-07-2016, 05:10 AM
Shibuichi - in the basic form - is 25% silver, 75% copper and still looks mostly grey. However, it's more generally used for the colours it can be patinated to rather than the colour of the alloy.

Have a look at the blog post by Tom Sterling - http://sterlingsculptures.com/wp/?p=1277

If you want your silver to look pink, you're probably going to have to plate it with rose gold.

pearlescence
14-07-2016, 08:31 AM
Honora pearls, an american firm, has a rose bronze alloy which is not of assay standard but is a very pretty colour