PDA

View Full Version : Oxidisation/making silver black

Unhindered
03-07-2016, 12:11 PM
I've used a bought chemical before but I'm just wondering if there's any other tried and tested ways people use? Anything natural that can speed up the oxidisation process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dennis
03-07-2016, 12:28 PM
No, of the 'natural' things recommended, I have tried egg yolk and onions. There is also Selsun shampoo. They are a complete waste of time and money if used for this purpose.

The best thing I have used so far is Noirit from Cookson. It is good value for money, doesn't smell much and gives a good even result if a portion is poured out and used as a dip. Dennis

trialuser
03-07-2016, 02:09 PM
sulphur, and many of its compounds are perfectly 'natural' and will oxidise silver.

When you eat an organic carrot you are eating chemical compounds :-)

Unhindered
05-07-2016, 05:49 PM
Thank you! I used plantitol this time, then the customer decided she wanted it normal silver coloured! Haha typical

Nick martin
18-07-2016, 11:42 AM
Platinol is my suggestion too... easily removed if need be too of course.

Nick

johnwallen872
26-07-2016, 09:46 PM
Does anybody know of a patina ting compound that had a very strong smell like ether or the old fashioned 'Victory V' sweets? I had some and it worked well but it ran out. I now use liver of sulphur. J

Dennis
27-07-2016, 02:24 AM
That volatile Parisian compound was discontinued ages ago, because you lost more by evaporation than you ever used. Now we have Platinol and Noirit which do the job better and dont smell at all. Dennis.

johnwallen872
11-08-2016, 07:57 AM
Many thanks Dennis. That explains why I can't find it anymore. It certainly was volatile!