PDA

View Full Version : Smith's little Torch/Oxycon - popping sound Help!

ldzinlondon
01-06-2016, 07:41 AM
Hello,

After waiting 2 months to get my oxycon, smiths torch setup impeccably by a certified gas man - with metal pipes through wall, grounded all safety measured applied etc. I was happily using for a week and then yesterday I was working normally and suddenly I heard a loud pop in the torch - then smelled a burning smell somewhere. I have an internal shutoff to the tank which I immediately switched off and I switched off Oxycon from Tuffnells, and then ran outside to turn off tank and regulator.

When I turn the oxycon back on itself - the burning smell returns. Anyone have any ideas. Do you think this was a backfire and did it go back to the tank? Do I need a new flashback arrestor? I am terrified to turn it on again.
Thanks Laurie
:'(

bills makes
25-08-2016, 03:55 PM
Sounds like a problem with the oxycon if you can smell it when you turn on the oxycon was you using the torch at the time if not did you have the oxy valve on the torch open a bit as the oxycon needs a free flow of oxygen if the valve is off it will put the oxycon under pressure which it is not meant to do and may have damaged it . Also do you have flash backs on both propane and oxycon or just on the propane?