PDA

View Full Version : Liver of sulphur on cutlery

DaisyDaisy
18-05-2016, 05:57 PM
Hi, everyone!

I wonder if anyone could tell me if it's safe to use cutlery which has hand stamped letters on it which are oxidised with LOS, please?

Thank you :)

DaisyDaisy
18-05-2016, 06:01 PM
If it's not safe would anyone be able to suggest a safe alternative, please?

CJ57
18-05-2016, 06:49 PM
Are the stamps in the bowls or on the handles?

DaisyDaisy
18-05-2016, 07:14 PM
On the part you'd put in your mouth/stir your tea with.

Dennis
18-05-2016, 08:56 PM
It probably wouldn't harm you. It might give off a slightly metallic taste, but many of us have eaten from tarnished EPNS.

However given the choice, I would rather have the stamping on the handle where it belongs, or at least not have it blackened. Dennis.

CJ57
18-05-2016, 10:00 PM
I'm with Dennis, if putting on the bowl I wouldn't colour it but it would be better on the handle

DaisyDaisy
19-05-2016, 08:11 AM
On the handle where it belongs....didn't know there were placement rules when it comes to stamped cutlery �� Stamping on the handle or leaving the letters unblackened won't get the desired effect I'm after, I'm afraid. As long as I know it won't kill or poison anyone, that's ok :) Thanks.

CJ57
19-05-2016, 09:37 AM
I don't know that it wouldn't harm anyone, I know I wouldn't put it in my mouth which would be my rule for my customers.

metalsmith
19-05-2016, 02:59 PM
On the handle where it belongs....didn't know there were placement rules when it comes to stamped cutlery �� Stamping on the handle or leaving the letters unblackened won't get the desired effect I'm after, I'm afraid. As long as I know it won't kill or poison anyone, that's ok :) Thanks.

Not so much 'rules', more 'common-sense'.

It won't be the oxidised silver that is at issue since this is relatively inert.

First, we're presuming that you've cleaned out all of the oxidising chems; then it just remains to be a crevice for anything to try and hide throughout your attempts to clean it after a meal and before the next one.

DaisyDaisy
19-05-2016, 03:39 PM
Not so much 'rules', more 'common-sense'.

It won't be the oxidised silver that is at issue since this is relatively inert.

First, we're presuming that you've cleaned out all of the oxidising chems; then it just remains to be a crevice for anything to try and hide throughout your attempts to clean it after a meal and before the next one.

Wow, was I ever sorry I asked a simple question. I have plenty of common sense, thank you. For what I was planning the stamped wording would have to go on the parts of the cutlery which are put into mouths or touch food. Thanks anyway.

DaisyDaisy
20-05-2016, 07:38 AM
I wonder if someone could enlighten me as to why my previous comment had seemed to have disappeared until now?

Dennis
20-05-2016, 02:40 PM
Hi Daisy,
Please don't be annoyed with us. We are all friends on this forum, and speaking for myself, I am only responding to an atavistic reluctance (in common with all apes) to put something in my mouth that is perceived as a threat.
That should not prevent you from experimenting with you designs. The ultimate arbiter will be your sales.
Apologies for unintended offence, Dennis.

DaisyDaisy
20-05-2016, 04:14 PM
I'm not annoyed, Dennis....more disappointed and offended that there's a hint, in certain comments, of a lack of common sense on my part.
Enjoy your weekend.

DaisyDaisy
20-05-2016, 04:26 PM
And again my comments disappear.

metalsmith
20-05-2016, 10:30 PM
Wow, was I ever sorry I asked a simple question. I have plenty of common sense, thank you. For what I was planning the stamped wording would have to go on the parts of the cutlery which are put into mouths or touch food. Thanks anyway.

@DaisyDaisy, please don't be over-sensitive. There's a reason that cutlery is curved, fine finished and polished. Handles can be decorated or formed from different materials. Stamping letters or otherwise designing cracks / crevices into the functional part of the cutlery provides somewhere for some microbiological nasties to stick around.

If you have common sense, you'll know not to fly in the face of something that has evolved due to more than whim. Alternatively if the piece is intended to be entirely decorative, then go right ahead. Alternatively if you won't listen to well intentioned advice, go right ahead too.

Dennis
21-05-2016, 04:29 AM
Artists are free to express themselves in any way they wish. I dont think common sense comes into it.

Many forms of art which were strongly criticised to begin with, have entered the mainstream in later generations.

I now see that my first reaction was prejudiced and have apologised for it. Dennis.

metalsmith
21-05-2016, 07:30 AM
Yes Dennis, you hit the nail on the head... there is art and there is utility. The OP was regarding the safe use. I know the number of times I've changed cutlery in an pub/diner/eatery.

As art, I'm all for it; inspired even!