PDA

View Full Version : Bench Drills and Handpieces.

Lucie
13-05-2016, 10:50 AM
Hi everyone. I've been pouring over old threads for a few days now & haven't quite managed to find what I'm looking for.

Has anyone got either the Proxon bench drill, or the Foredom set-up with the Foredom drill press and #30 handpiece.
Would you recommend one over another for any reason?

The Proxon drill is cheaperand specifically built for the job, but not sure if getting the Foredom #30 handpiece would be useful for other things as it would mean I wouldn't have to stick to 2.35mm burrs (if I've understood that correctly)?

On another note, does anyone own a Foredom No. 15 Hammer Handpiece? Is it especially useful?

Thank you in advance. :)

china
13-05-2016, 12:14 PM
H 30 takes up about 4mm, extremely useful I would not be with out it, same with the 15 hammer hand piece, useful for setting thick bezels texturing and many other uses,the hammer hand piece must be run at a slower seed so you need to be gentle with the foot.

Lucie
13-05-2016, 12:28 PM
Thank you :) So potentially I could use it with all my old Dremel bits that have been sitting around collecting dust?

Would you say the hammer handpiece is useful for other types of setting?

china
13-05-2016, 02:48 PM
Yes on both counts, only thing with the hammer handpiece is to practice on something first to get a feel of it.

CJ57
13-05-2016, 03:12 PM
I have the Proxxon bench drill and for precision drilling I would recommend it. It's really neat and doesn't take up much room and is one of the most useful pieces I've ever bought. The only thing I have a problem with is the drill vice that can be bought as an extra. The bar on the stand stops it from moving back to front but there is nothing to fix it from moving left to right so you have to hold onto the vice. Also buy the universal drill bit that's also available as an extra

Lucie
13-05-2016, 03:25 PM
Hi Caroline. Thank you for replying :)

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to buy the Proxon and getting the #30 handpiece separately - Just because burrs in other sizes are easier to pick up locally, rather than having to buy 2.35mm ones online all the time.

What do you find you mostly use the Proxon for? Do you think it is better than setting the pendant motor up as a drill?

mizgeorge
13-05-2016, 03:36 PM
Before I got my proxxon, I used to use a #30 with the press attachment, and ended up hating it, mainly because of the constant faffing around changing handpieces, clamping and unclamping, and managing the surprisingly cumbersome press. I also found that it wasn't very stable unless screwed or clamped to the bench as it's rather top heavy.

The proxxon, on the other hand, I absolutely love, and it's never let me down. As Caroline says, it would be greatly improved by a better vice/clamp, but the only ones I've ever found were so ridiculously expensive that I laughed out loud.

That said, I wouldn't be without a #30 for taking odd size bits, burrs and mandrels. I also love my hammer handpiece, though I have to admit to using it less often than I should as it still scares the wits out of me when it starts up!

Lucie
13-05-2016, 03:43 PM
Hi George. Nice to "see" everyone :)

This definitely makes my decision easier (been getting increasingly confused for a few days now).

I might get my Dad to look at the vice next time he visits. He usually comes up with something.

What do you find you use the hammer handpiece for? I'm struggling to find video examples of anyone using it for jewellery making, even though they sell it as being "'Great for stone-settingengraving and texturing".

CJ57
13-05-2016, 06:19 PM
I think for drilling it's the most precise but then I used an Archimedes for decades so it's like night and day. It's quick and easy and the universal chuck Dennis suggested is much easier than the little interchangeable ones that come with it.
I only recently got a Foredom micromotor so don't have experience of a pendant since college but I would go for the Proxxon if you can afford it, in the end it's what suits your needs best

china
14-05-2016, 06:23 AM
The hammer handpiece can be used to set bezels don't need as much muscle power I find I only use it for thick bezels also can be used for setting prongs also for picking up points and beads,, to a certain extent can be used for graving, although there are much more suited devices around, it is great for texturing you can grind the points to suit

Nick martin
16-05-2016, 11:37 AM
Hi Lucie,

I can highly recommend the Foredom setup, although mines the pendant motor and not the micromotor version. I wouldnt bother with the dedicated Foredom drill press however, and I opted to get a decent quality seperate bench / pillar drill. Its more flexible, sturdy, not to mention accurate. Ok.. you cant use the Foredom handpiece in it, but you can use any drill bit but with more control.

I also have the hammer handpiece and its superb. Great for thick bezel setting duties and texturing once you get the hang of it. Only thing to watch out for is that you dont spin it too fast otherwise it'll wreck the cams inside the handpiece. It can be used perfectly well with a Foredom SR motor ( mine - high speed ) or you can opt to use the higher-torque LX version which is arguably better suited to the hammer handpiece. Alternatively invest £50 or thereabouts in a Foredom speed control which lets you set the RPM regardless of how much the foot pedal is depressed.

Nick

Lucie
17-05-2016, 09:18 AM
Hi Nick. Thank you very much for the input!
I have the Foredom SR, but just have the #20 handpiece which is great, but not very flexible.
I think I'm going to do the same as you and opt for a separate bench drill. Did you go for any one in particular?

Thanks for the advice about the hammer handpiece too. I'll definitely look into the speed control. Prices seem to vary considerably between suppliers.

Nick martin
19-05-2016, 06:18 PM
Hi Lucie,

You dont 'need' a speed control but if you dont have one, and I personally dont, then you just have to have a steady foot and be mindful of the speed of the motor.

As for bench drills, then I just got mine from Machinemart on the high street. Think I paid about £100 for it and its spot on. Then just get yourself a half decent vice and away you go.

Nick

Dennis
19-05-2016, 09:14 PM
Some of us have opted for the Proxxon, which is space saving and can be used with the collets provided, or for impatient operators like me, with the optional three jawed chuck. http://www.proxxon.com/us/micromot/38128.php Dennis.

Stacey
20-05-2016, 11:48 AM
I bought my Proxxon from this site ... it only took two days to arrive. The price (including shipping) cannot be beat I found. All I needed to do was buy a "visitor to the U.K." electrical adaptor.
http://www.reichelt.de/PROXXON-28128/3/index.html?&ACTION=3&LA=446&ARTICLE=30171&artnr=PROXXON+28128&SEARCH=proxxon+bench+drill

Lucie
25-05-2016, 02:55 PM
Hi. Thank you very much for all the advice everyone. It's been very helpful in putting together my shopping list :)

Dai
22-06-2016, 11:57 PM
Hi Lucie. A nice little video example of stone setting with hammer. On YouTube, Embed a gem in the gold bezel setting. Watch full screen and HD if possible. :)

china
23-06-2016, 05:52 AM
There is no link?

ps_bond
23-06-2016, 06:35 AM
Nope, because members with fewer than 5 posts can't post links (when it works) - it's designed to slow down spammers.

This one might be the right one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKrAFrnSorA

Or, it might not...

Dai
23-06-2016, 10:26 AM
Yes, that's the one. I didn't attempt to post link as im new here. I wasn't aware of how many posts before adding a link..I do now thank you Mr Bond.
Enjoying this forum, plenty of knowledge and friendly helpful people.

ps_bond
23-06-2016, 12:08 PM
Excellent - there were enough keywords in what you wrote for me to make a fair guess once I'd skimmed the video too :)

Dai
23-06-2016, 02:02 PM
Cool, that is what i hoped :) I shall probably have a few questions over the coming days regarding tools and there quality / where to purchase. I shall start a new thread, as not to clutter this one. You seem a discerning gentleman, who i'm sure will have good input on the matter....oh and maybe some questions (well maybe picture requests) for you about your laser toy..riveting with a laser sounds interesting, quite powerful I take it :D