PDA

View Full Version : Cat litter!!

Caline
13-05-2016, 07:23 AM
I've heard that a certain type of cat litter can be mixed into a paste and then used to secure pieces in for soldering. Has anyone used cat litter for this and if so, what type. Not owning a cat my self I haven't got a clue.

Goldsmith
13-05-2016, 07:58 AM
Never heard of using cat litter, way back when I was an apprentice we used to use powdered loam mixed into a paste for securing items for soldering and also for protecting previous solders, when heated the loam paste just set like clay and after soldering it was broken off. Have you looked into using titanium soldering clamps for securing items when soldering?

James

Lucie
13-05-2016, 09:35 AM
This is a new one on me too, but I suppose you'd have to go for one of the natural clay based 'clumping' litters.
Catsan is the name brand, but most supermarkets do their own cheaper versions of the same thing.

glitterandgem
15-05-2016, 08:20 AM
I use the Titanium clips and tippex to protect previous solder joins

Caline
19-05-2016, 09:16 AM
Ok thanks. I'll take a look at titanium clips. I've not heard of them before!

Caline
19-05-2016, 09:17 AM
Oh, and the tippex? Do you just cover previously soldered joins? Wash off before pickling or straight into the pickle?

Goldsmith
19-05-2016, 09:51 AM
Ok thanks. I'll take a look at titanium clips. I've not heard of them before!

If you want to buy titanium strips for making clamps, Tamizan Savill sells them here in the UK, see;http://tamizan.co.uk/knew-concept-saws/
they are useful for many soldering jobs.

James

josef1
19-05-2016, 11:24 AM
Its fullers earth or bentonite I think that you want in cat litter