PDA

View Full Version : Magazine advertising

geti-titanium
08-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Do you know I had an advert in a jewellery magazine declined for being too raunchy (surprise, surprise!) recently and yet I see the same magazine has a full page advert of a woman sitting in a car with her chest exposed to the elements, legs up to her armpits, holding a baby which is sucking on a ring.

Haven't a clue what they are advertising either - double standards or what?

EmmaRose
08-09-2009, 11:06 PM
LOL oh Alan :giggle:
depends what yours was like!
Yes some advertising is pretty prevocative and the lines are very fine....
E

geti-titanium
08-09-2009, 11:08 PM
this was mine

GETi black zirconium mens rings and titanium rings, High quality UK manufacture. - Latest GETi Advert (http://www.geti.cc/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=279&Itemid=18)

out of date now obviously

geti-titanium
08-09-2009, 11:10 PM
note the subtle 'bottom right' joke :)

MuranoSilver
08-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Sorry Geti
I hate adverts like that and it would put me off the manufacturer :(
Would have to see the car ad to make the comparison but it depends on how it was staged.

geti-titanium
08-09-2009, 11:18 PM
I know what you mean - the results from my mini survey were 50/50. I think using sex in advertising is cheap gimmickery and doesn't really have any relevance to the product it's trying to sell. However it is an unfortunate fact that sex does sell. I was taking the P with my ad.

agent_44
08-09-2009, 11:22 PM
That did make me chuckle though I am glad you were taking the mickey, as I thought you coudl probably do soething a little more clever than that. Like the boots though, (without the rhinestones)!

MuranoSilver
08-09-2009, 11:23 PM
The sort of advert that is more likely to get my attention is something along the lines of Buying British AND Making Money IS Possible maybe with a big "Your Country Needs You" sign ;)

geti-titanium
08-09-2009, 11:30 PM
as I thought you could probably do something a little more clever than that

I've tried all sorts of adverts in jewellery magazines and this was a different approach for me - and probably my last. I've always found magazine advertising to be a very poor return on investment. This one (or the watered down one that was accepted I should say, was a full page, inside back cover position and I had 3 calls from it.

geti-titanium
08-09-2009, 11:32 PM
I hear exactly the same results from other disappointed advertisers as well

bustagasket
09-09-2009, 06:06 AM
I've tried all sorts of adverts in jewellery magazines and this was a different approach for me - and probably my last. I've always found magazine advertising to be a very poor return on investment. This one (or the watered down one that was accepted I should say, was a full page, inside back cover position and I had 3 calls from it.

Oh wow that really isnt worth it! But you certaint never cease to amaze me with what tyou come up with lmao

caroleallen
09-09-2009, 06:55 AM
Not my cup of tea but I'm sure there are loads of men it would appeal to.

I had some free advertising in The Lady (where they most certainly wouldn't like your ad!). It went into two editions and I had 3 orders from it. Thank God I didn't pay for it.

I'm also getting some editorial in a magazine because we did a barter for some jewellery. Looking forward to seeing it, but not expecting any direct sales.

geti-titanium
09-09-2009, 07:08 AM
I'm also getting some editorial in a magazine

That's your best type of advert - editorial. Very few adverts actually get looked at but the editorial gets read. The publishers know this and that's why they charge more for an 'advertorial' even though it is taking up the same amount of space. Plus editorial is usually free or provided as an add on if you place a decent advert.

agent_44
09-09-2009, 07:50 AM
I have heard magazine advertising is not really worth it a few times, for jewellery anyway. Out of interest where else do you advertise, are there any better places in your opinion?

caroleallen
09-09-2009, 07:57 AM
The best way is to get out there and let people see your work in other parts of the country. I also think getting into the Craft and Design magazine raises your profile.

geti-titanium
09-09-2009, 08:07 AM
where else do you advertise

I don't - I'm very anti-advertising. Don't get me wrong advertising can work but you need to test so many different approaches to find one that does that it can eat up all your money.

I much prefer internet marketing, direct mail and phone calls.

Direct mail and phone calls are the most soul destroying though - you can make dozens of calls and send hundreds of letters before you get a positive response - I couldn't be a sales rep for a living, I'd be slitting my throat after 3 months.

I'd be slitting my throat after 3 months.

I'm not the only one either, apparently incidents of suicide have increased in countries such as India, where companies have set up cheap sales call centres - you know the type that ring you late at night to sell you mobile phones or to change your gas supplier - easy pickings to take the 'P' out of they are. :)

agent_44
09-09-2009, 08:12 AM
Yeah, I am not sure I could cope with sales rep type activities, like the phone calling. I did some telemarketing once, when I was at Uni as a temp job and I walked out after three days. If it wasn't the people on the end of the phone having a go, it was the supervisors!

The best way is to get out there and let people see your work in other parts of the country. I also think getting into the Craft and Design magazine raises your profile.

My plan, in the new year is to get a brochure/portfolio together with a cover letter and send it out to lots of galleries or places theat look like they may be interested. Not sure of that's the usual way of doing it though!

EmmaRose
09-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Hmm, OK the advert isn't bad in terms of sex (remember the Opium ad with Sophie Dahl) but (and thats not BUTT ha ha ha, but it is a big one) I am struggling to find the product relevance. There is far too much info on here- too cluttered and confusing. (Sorry you didn't ask for a crit so I'll shut up).
Advertising is pretty poor (and expensive), that's why everyone wants editorial. I have a friend whose jewellery has been in vogue several times (editorial) but she hasn't really got anything from it. And her stuff is wonderful and sells well!
Em

EmmaRose
09-09-2009, 09:21 AM
PS I like the boots too (sans rhinestones).

geti-titanium
09-09-2009, 09:48 AM
It's not easy to photograph yourself in that position you know and I was trapped for hours with my heel in my thong - got pins and needles in the end:'(

EmmaRose
09-09-2009, 10:01 AM
I can imagine (though perhaps I'd rather not). Great skin though!
Em

Emerald
09-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Who does your waxing lmao

The Dragon
09-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Sorry mate it was the dominatrix boots that did it - if you had her barefoot you would have been fine, of course that wouldn't look half as eyecatching lol ;)

geti-titanium
09-09-2009, 08:34 PM
I've thought about this quite a bit. I think if you place an advert for your products in a jewellery magazine with images of jewellery it won't be seen - the expression 'can't see the wood for the trees' springs to mind. Put images other than jewellery as a hook and it will be seen.

Imagine flicking through a magazine full of jewellery and suddenly you see an image of a Black Panther, for example. Would it make you stop and wonder what it was about? - that was what I was trying to achieve with that advert.

I actually got more exposure and response from the fact that that version wasn't accepted than the actual advert.

Emerald
09-09-2009, 09:20 PM
it wouldent have been turned down in Nuts or FHM

geti-titanium
09-09-2009, 09:29 PM
No they would have loved it :)

EmmaRose
09-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Hmm. That is a good point. But that panther is probably representative of something (power, grace etc). I could understand if you were selling diamond nipple tassles. Or if you had put a few rings down the heel or stuck on the thong...or....
Em

Emerald
09-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Hmm. That is a good point. But that panther is probably representative of something (power, grace etc). I could understand if you were selling diamond nipple tassles. Or if you had put a few rings down the heel or stuck on the thong...or....
Em

Oh Em no, know you have gone and done it....off we go again lmao

Lindyloo
09-09-2009, 10:16 PM
I saw some foot jewellery/stillettos at IJL. Don't know how comfortable they'd be though.

Petal
10-09-2009, 04:07 PM
I think the Panther is a good idea. It would certainly make me look at an advert, however, another photo of a naked woman wouldn't. I'm no prude, its just boring boring, page 3 stuff and reduces what you are trying to sell as tat. I have the mute permanently on with the TV ads and the only reason I will listen to one is because it is humourous, perhap you could try a bit of humour in your ads... but then that's quite subjective, isn't it. I say keep it simple, I think you'd be amazed at the response. Less is more. Ah I now realise I've made a bit of a faux pas, as she obviously has not much on at all, but you know what I mean!

Love
Jules x

geti-titanium
10-09-2009, 10:08 PM
I think it isn't necessarily the womans body that is the eyecatching part of the image, it is the boot as pointed out by the Dragon - without that it's just another naked woman.

geti-titanium
11-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Here's a twist!

Travelling to work this morning I spotted a dirty great billboard with a practically near naked picture of a man modelling underpants for M&S :-O

He had a six pack like a glockenspiel - now I'm sure you'll all agree that this is outrageous - they shouldn't be advertising in this manner, what's wrong with a picture of the pants hanging on a washing line instead or on a mannequin? It would have been just as effective and eyecatching don't you think?

And how dare they use one of my old modelling pictures without consent - the head was cut off but I recognise my stomach anywhere :-"

bustagasket
11-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Here's a twist!

And how dare they use one of my old modelling pictures without consent - the head was cut off but I recognise my stomach anywhere :-"

only in your dreams hun, only in your dreams

agent_44
11-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Here's a twist!

Travelling to work this morning I spotted a dirty great billboard with a practically near naked picture of a man modelling underpants for M&S :-O

He had a six pack like a glockenshpiel - now I'm sure you'll all agree that this is outrageous - they shouldn't be advertising in this manner, what's wrong with a picture of the pants hanging on a washing line instead or on a mannequin? It would have been just as effective and eyecatching don't you think?

Sounds like part of a series of ads they have been doing, I've seen a close up of a pair of boobs in a M&S bra and a close up of a Roast Chicken!

caroleallen
11-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Sounds like part of a series of ads they have been doing, I've seen a close up of a pair of boobs in a M&S bra and a close up of a Roast Chicken!

I know which I prefer!

Emerald
11-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Here's a twist!

He had a six pack like a glockenshpiel - now I'm sure you'll all agree that this is outrageous - they shouldn't be advertising in this manner, what's wrong with a picture of the pants hanging on a washing line instead or on a mannequin? It would have been just as effective and eyecatching don't you think? :-"

Nothing outrageous in that lmao