PDA

View Full Version : Box clasp

Unhindered
28-04-2016, 01:55 PM
Any ideas on what I need to tweak to get this to 'click'? http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160428/e29bcc745189bb398680d56f191504f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theresa
28-04-2016, 02:03 PM
You need to open the tongue slightly.
It has probably got a bit 'squashed' with use.
Is it a new make or repair?
If new then it's a bit more complicated. I should know because I haven't had much success in making them properly yet:(

josef1
28-04-2016, 02:04 PM
You could have the worn parts build up with a laser

Unhindered
28-04-2016, 02:04 PM
It's a repair I've replaced the tongue, I've been opening it but it's not making it click unfortunately! [emoji17]

ps_bond
28-04-2016, 02:05 PM
Guessing it's a repair? Could also be down to wear on the tongue or clasp section - in which case it's chop out & replace. If you're lucky you should be able to sort it with some gentle tweaking & a bench knife, per Theresa's suggestion.

Added - if it slides in but doesn't click I'd definitely go for prying it slightly more.

Unhindered
28-04-2016, 02:07 PM
Thanks I'll keep playing then!

Dennis
28-04-2016, 04:55 PM
I think it has been incompletely repaired. The female part should have a retaining ridge, which is probably the part which you now see bent flat at the bottom.
The underneath of the tongue should have a button to press, so that it lifts and clears the ridge for opening.

Even if my casual assessment is not quite accurate, you will see that at the moment, there is nothing to sop the tongue sliding out. If all else fails, the add a figure of eight catch on one side. Dennis.

Unhindered
28-04-2016, 05:00 PM
Sorry it's not a great photo! There's a button on the top to press down and the tongue is folded, I tried to copy the previous one as best as I could, I think I may need to replace the whole clasp as tweaking the tongue isn't helping

Dennis
28-04-2016, 06:05 PM
Well then, the tongue needs to enter and expand, so that its top rear end engages the back of the serrations. To do that needs further adjustment, by narrowing the upright by about 1.0mm on each side and filing back the newly exposed rear edges of the top leaf to allow it to lift . Dennis.

josef1
28-04-2016, 08:03 PM
8898 Its difficult to see on the picture but there should be 2 slots (red pen) that spring up behind the fixed part (green pen). apologys if there there.

Dennis
28-04-2016, 11:05 PM
Yes your solution is better than mine Joseph, but the front edge of the slot must be accurately placed, or the catch will be slack when closed. Dennis.

Unhindered
28-04-2016, 11:07 PM
Thank you! I think that is probably exactly what it needs, I'm off till next week now but I'll try it when I'm back [emoji5]

ps_bond
29-04-2016, 06:21 AM
Does this help?

http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/box-clasp-project.htm

trialuser
29-04-2016, 08:09 AM
Perfect!

Ganoksin is an absolutely awesome resource, but I personally find it horrible to navigate search and use.

Certainly not knocking it, just a personal view.

Once you've found what you're after - you're usually sorted.

ps_bond
29-04-2016, 08:14 AM
As with many things, I don't use the search function on the site, I leave it to Google to index it... Means I can usually feed slightly more complex search expressions in too. Gave up on the conversation side ages back when the signal to noise ratio deteriorated badly.

That particular one is part of Revere's Professional Goldsmithing book, which covers a lot of other constructions too. Expensive, but very worthwhile.

Unhindered
29-04-2016, 08:16 AM
That's the same as the style on at the bench, would be perfect if I was making the whole thing but trying to fit an already existing section is no fun! I think it needs the notches on this particular clasp

ps_bond
29-04-2016, 08:31 AM
That's the same as the style on at the bench

Mmm. You'll find a few like that from Professional Goldsmithing :)

Worth building a few to understand the mechanism better.