PDA

View Full Version : Inlaying silver onto copper

Ruedeleglise
25-04-2016, 03:25 PM
Hello all. As a very new member who is only at the copper ring and copper chain stage, I now want to move a step forwards and introduce a little bit of personal artistry or detail to copper rings and bangles. I want to, as it were, inlay silver and wonder the best approach. I have thought of graving a design on the copper then applying silver solder to the design, following by polishing the surface flat. I have read somewhere this is possible but is a graver the best tool to use and if so what type of graver is recommended?
David.

Dennis
25-04-2016, 10:02 PM
It sounds like a good idea and you might start with a narrow flat or half round graver, but it is a difficult discipline to learn, particularly without tuition.
Dennis.

Ruedeleglise
26-04-2016, 07:51 AM
Yes, I am sure you are right! I have tried using an old wood chisel and scraping the copper. Taking an age. Have looked up on google "how to videos" but they don't seem to be for a novice!. Thanks for the advice and I may well sport a couple of Gravers as you have suggested once I have moved and am set up and settled again. Nothing venture....nothing gain!