PDA

View Full Version : White Gold Chain Question

luke1990
12-04-2016, 10:53 AM
I've got someone coming to have a look at some chains in a few days. They are interested in white gold so I ordered a few varieties of cooksongold. They are a lot darker than I imagined, having a browse on here & it seems like most people rhodium plate the chains to get the bright white look.

Curious does anywhere sell any 9ct white gold chains that have already been rhodium plated?

Dennis
12-04-2016, 02:16 PM
9ct white gold does have a slight yellow cast. I personally find it attractive, as might your customer. Of course if you are making a pendant as as well it will then match.

By contrast, rhodium plating to my eye is more like chromium, as in bathroom taps. However there's lots of it around, so I might be in a minority. Dennis.

ajda
12-04-2016, 02:31 PM
As Dennis says, white gold is slightly off-white and rhodium perhaps more chrome-like, a matter of taste as to which you prefer. If you want the whitest metal, I don't think anything beats Argentium - whiter than other silver alloys, 960 slightly whiter than 935. Allied Gold do a range of 960 finished chains: http://www.alliedgoldltd.com/14-chains-bracelets
Alan

china
12-04-2016, 02:57 PM
I always steer people away from plating precious metals, it will eventually wear and need to be re plated, plating precious metal in my opinion is a bit like "gilding the lily"

enigma
12-04-2016, 04:44 PM
I know its popular with the mass market but I think its ridiculous tbh as it just wears off eventually and then looks rubbish.
9ct white has a slight yellow tinge as Dennis says, 18ct white tends to be a darker grey colour.
I like both personally, can't see the point of plating it to make it the same colour as silver!

luke1990
13-04-2016, 08:33 AM
That's the issue I have. If its popular with mass market it they might think that its always meant to have that chrome look. I've sent some off to be plated & will have both to show.