PDA

View Full Version : I Don’t Have A Thing To Wear.

Dennis
11-04-2016, 02:06 PM
When I delivered my turquoise basket shaped ring, described last month in ‘It’s Rude To Stare’, I was told, ‘Thank you, but I don’t have anything to wear with it.’

So I buckled down and made some earrings, continuing the marquise theme with slightly larger stones and wing shaped wire decorations.

For a pendant I used a similar construction, joining two pairs as a surround for a turquoise briolette, this time with coloured marbling for variety.

I even found a rope chain in my collection, which might have done but was a little too fat. So being too clever by half, I decided to draw it down, which was easy enough. All was looking good until I realised that now the chain developed unsightly kinks whenever it was put down, and these were difficult to shake out.

So off I went to Cookson, who have a variety of rope, under the name of ‘Prince of Wales’. That made more for the scrap pot, but I hope you’ll now know to avoid this pitfall.

Wire used 1.2 mm round, each wing slightly rolled flat after forming.
Marquise stones 7 x 3.5 mm Turquoise briolette 23 mm long and 7.0 mm at its thickest.
Dennis.

Wallace
11-04-2016, 03:38 PM
now all that is needed is a lovely LBD to go with :)

lovely Dennis

:)

Petal
11-04-2016, 03:55 PM
That's drop dead gorgeous!! :)

ShinyLauren
11-04-2016, 05:05 PM
Love these - they all work so perfectly together!

mizgeorge
11-04-2016, 06:42 PM
What a fantastic set that turned into! Lucky lady :)

joella
12-04-2016, 06:54 AM
Here, here. Anyone would be uber excited to get those!

ajda
12-04-2016, 07:41 AM
Stunning all round, Dennis - great design and execution. Turquoise and silver do go well together.
Alan

Dennis
12-04-2016, 10:18 AM
Thank you all for liking my turquoise. I must say, it's one of my favourites. Dennis.

theresa
12-04-2016, 12:59 PM
As a matter of interest Dennis, what is the best way to clean silver with Turquoise?
I have always struggled because I am worried about spoiling the shine on Turquoise, so have avoided putting it into 'jewellery cleaner' after a mishap early on in my jewellery career!:confused:
Lovely pieces btw (as usual).

enigma
12-04-2016, 02:09 PM
Beautiful Dennis! what a lucky lady.

Dennis
12-04-2016, 02:33 PM
Thank you Theresa and Sarah.

I have never had trouble with Goddards Silver dip and gem stones, perhaps because the dipping time is so short (10-15 seconds) and then it gets rinsed off.
The snag is that Goddards is now discontinued and the commonly available replacement is Hagerty Silver Clean.

You get less and it costs more, but in response to your question, I have just dipped a spare marquise into it for 20 seconds, with no noticeable effect.

By contrast, using the electrolytic method with bicarbonate, or soda crystals, you will wash out any oil or wax from gemstones and risk turning them white. Sometimes that can be treated with a little oil, but not always. Dennis.

Nick martin
14-04-2016, 08:49 AM
Top work as always Dennis, very nice designs indeed.

Nick

Dennis
14-04-2016, 04:02 PM
Thank you Nick.