PDA

View Full Version : need some advice on a complex setting.

sam.k
24-03-2016, 07:23 PM
hello guys.
I have this plan and I am not sure which would be the best way to progress.
I want to make a setting for a 5mm round stone and have it surrounded by 8 3mm round stones equally spaced around the 5mm.
I think I have a few ideas but I am not 100% on the best way to progress.
so here we go-
idea 1 is to cut an 11mm circle (5mm+3mm+3mm) from 1mm sheet mark a 4mm circle in the centre to seat the centre stone and then using an octagon to work out the spacing for the orbiting stones, drill and bur seats 1.5mm in from the edge of the circle or 4mm from the centre point. after all that is done I would solder 8 prongs around the inner stones seat and 16 (?) around the outer edge.

idea 2 consists of making a claw setting for the centre stone with 8 prongs and then attach mounts for the smaller stones around this (I'm not sure on how this would be achieved)

any ideas? this is just an idea currently but it must be possible somehow!

Dennis
24-03-2016, 08:05 PM
Hi Sam,
You've mastered claw setting now and might well use it for the centre stone, but the surrounding ones could be set by raising beads, or even flush set.

Time to learn new ways, I guess.

Here to help you on your way is a circle divider. http://www.brynmorgen.com/toolbox/CircleDividerHandout.pdf Dennis

sam.k
24-03-2016, 08:11 PM
that's an idea, I guess I would make a halo and then grave the beads up?

Patstone
25-03-2016, 05:58 AM
I agree with Dennis about the flush setting of the outside stones but think the middle one would look better with a bezel, it would match the flush set stones better in my opinion.