PDA

View Full Version : Me again :D who do you send your lemel to?

Unhindered
16-03-2016, 11:39 AM
Just wanting recommendations, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keia
16-03-2016, 11:56 AM
I'm interested in the answers to this one too. Got loads but no-one seems to want it unless I pay to have it made into a bar then they'll buy that from me. For the amount I've got I'd end up with just £20 for £70 worth silver =(

ps_bond
16-03-2016, 12:01 PM
It's not worth £70... It only has any value once it has been processed and the processing fees need to come off the value of the processed metal.

Pity the poor sods who end up with my next batch - broken sawblades, vacuum cleaner bags, baby wipes, polishing sweeps, sludge from the ultrasonic...

Cooksons have a recycling service; not sure how happy they'd be with the rubbish I just described though. Presman Mastermelt might like it rather more.

Unhindered
16-03-2016, 12:09 PM
Sounds like mine Peter! I will try them, thanks!

Goldsmith
16-03-2016, 12:27 PM
The London Assay office does a scrap melt and assay service, up to 9kg scrap melted into a bar for £35, not sure what they charge for lemel as that has to be cleaned before melting.

James

caroleallen
16-03-2016, 05:26 PM
I always use Cooksons scrap service. Never had any problems with it, though I only ever put silver in. I usually recycle my own gold as I use so little of it.

Goldsmith
16-03-2016, 06:11 PM
I always use Cooksons scrap service. Never had any problems with it, though I only ever put silver in. I usually recycle my own gold as I use so little of it.

What do Cookson charge for processing the lemel and scrap Carole?, I have looked through their website and cannot find any costs.

enigma
16-03-2016, 10:03 PM
I use a lot of mine in casting but when I have excess Ive sent it to Cooksons.
the silver prices aren't great but gold is ok and 18ct is well worth it.
My scrap is pretty clean but I think its all the same price?

Keia
17-03-2016, 03:19 PM
It's not worth £70... It only has any value once it has been processed and the processing fees need to come off the value of the processed metal.

Ahhh, thanks for clarifying that Peter. Seems using a weight calculator is not the way to do it =)

ps_bond
17-03-2016, 03:32 PM
Where there's muck, there's brass... But getting the brass out of the muck has always cost.

If you're happy to pay the processing fees separately then you can have the full value of the recovered metal :)

Keia
17-03-2016, 03:58 PM
I'd be happy to get rid without it costing too much to do so (it's taking up a full drawer at the moment) I'm so glad this question was asked as I've not needed to deal with scrap until now, so totally at a loss =S

Dennis
17-03-2016, 06:08 PM
Some people like to shop around, and good luck to them. But if you post your scrap to Cookson, they will deal with it and in about two weeks you will receive a cheque.
It is not worth sending in silver until you have about a kilo, because the melting and assay charge is about £45. Dennis.

Unhindered
18-03-2016, 12:01 PM
I was thinking more my dust etc as Peter had described, I've got it all collected in a jar along with a ziplock bag full of used abrasive paper and saw blades! I recycle all my metal if I can :) do cooksons work with that too?

Goldsmith
18-03-2016, 12:27 PM
I was thinking more my dust etc as Peter had described, I've got it all collected in a jar along with a ziplock bag full of used abrasive paper and saw blades! I recycle all my metal if I can :) do cooksons work with that too?

This link tells you about Cookson's scrap services, but no costs shown;http://www.cooksongold.com/scrapgold/scrapsell.jsp

Unhindered
18-03-2016, 12:33 PM
Ah lovely! Thank you! I have emailed presman too so I'll see what they say but may just send to cooksons as I deal with them all the time anyway!