PDA

View Full Version : Chuffed to bits

The Old Bat
08-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Hi Folks
Not sure if this is the right place for this - apologies +++ if it should be elsewhere. Just wanted to share my news. I'd been asked to do some teaching in a local bead shop, after I'd gone in wearing one of my 'hand crafted' bracelets. The class has only been advertised on their website for a short time but its now full!! Have got 8 people booked onto the first one - its only a small shop. But - I think that 8 is quite enough to manage. Have done some teaching of other stuff before and do jewellery workshops (party-type) in people's homes. So I'm really chuffed to bits .... bit scary all the same!

Bev

Di Sandland
08-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Well done you - perhaps its the beginning of great things, eh? I hope so. Good luck.

bustagasket
08-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Huge congratulations to you, you have every right to be chuffed :D

agent_44
08-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Well done! That's great, good luck for your first class, and let us know all about it!

lorraineflee
08-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Great news, keep us posted on how it goes - I'm sure you will be fantastic!
Lorraine

MuranoSilver
08-09-2009, 03:33 PM
What fabulous news!!
Nic x

Ominicci
08-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Brilliant News!! Well done! I am exactly the same as you! :cheers: I have just heard today that my first 'Jewellery with beads, wire and chain maille' class (8 altogether) at the local school is going ahead with 8 people booked too!!! I am trying to get my lesson plans sorted out at the moment (we have to have an outline lesson plan as it is partially funded by the LEA so I could get inspected =:-O), and then there's all the equipment, and supplies.....

amazingbabe
08-09-2009, 05:41 PM
OMG that is just brilliant xxxxx:dance:

Lindyloo
08-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Well done both of you. Out of interest, is yours for adults Ominicci?

bustagasket
08-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Brilliant News!! Well done! I am exactly the same as you! :cheers: I have just heard today that my first 'Jewellery with beads, wire and chain maille' class (8 altogether) at the local school is going ahead with 8 people booked too!!! I am trying to get my lesson plans sorted out at the moment (we have to have an outline lesson plan as it is partially funded by the LEA so I could get inspected =:-O), and then there's all the equipment, and supplies.....

Congratulations to you too Nic great news xx

kymbi
08-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Great news from both of you - well done!

EmmaRose
08-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Well done! Top tip, take a camera to take pics of your students work, great to show what can be done while advertising courses!!
Em

Ominicci
09-09-2009, 10:33 AM
It's already on my list for the last session Emma; the school almost insist you do that so they can do like you say and put in the next brochure, or have a display on open evenings.

Linda, yes its adults.

The Old Bat
09-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Hi everyone

Thank you so much for the lovely comments and encourgement. Well done to you too Ominicci - you sound very organised, having to have lesson plans etc - not sure that I would know where to start with that one.

Thanks for the tip Emma re camera - I do usually take it along for workshops in people's homes, but hadn't thought about it for the bead shop class.

I'm going home to Mum's in Harrogate next week - haven't seen her since June and will be able to prepare instructions etc then. But I think that we will need to visit Betty's for coffee or probably afternoon tea and cake ... especially as Mum got some vouchers as a pressie.

Bev

The Dragon
09-09-2009, 08:23 PM
I'm really pleased for both of you - we definately need more people teaching out there. Don't forget to post a couple of pics here to :Y:

Ominicci
09-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Ooh Harrogate - don't forget to make plans to return there again 24/25th Oct when the BEAD FAIR is on!!! (And to visit your mum of course - where are you now then? Have you put your self on the MAP?!

The Old Bat
10-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Ooh Harrogate - don't forget to make plans to return there again 24/25th Oct when the BEAD FAIR is on!!! (And to visit your mum of course - where are you now then? Have you put your self on the MAP?!

I've already got my return ticket booked - couldn't possibly miss it. Great time to have some girlie time with Mum and without the OH. I'm in Edinburgh now - have been up here for the last 16 years. Haven't managed to put me on the map yet - tried and failled miserably. Maybe I'll have to have another go!
Bev

The Old Bat
30-09-2009, 09:20 AM
Hi everyone

I've now done my first chain maille class and I'm really pleased with how it went. No-one completed their weave in the 2 hours, but I wasn't expecting them to, but everyone went away knowing how to complete it. I got some really lovely feedback, which was greatly appreciated. Now... onwards and upwards. Getting ready for the next one. :Y:
Forgot my camera though :N: will definately take it along next time

Am also now thinking of setting up some other 'techniques' classes for people new to jewellery making - hiring a venue and hopefully would get some people to come along. What do you think?

Bev

agent_44
30-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Congratulations, and well if that was a success, then go for it! :D

fi79
30-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Well done! Bet you felt all warm and glowy afterwards too!

MuranoSilver
30-09-2009, 12:16 PM
So pleased the course went well - it's a great feeling to pass on knowledge and have enthusiastic students! :D

Ominicci
30-09-2009, 11:15 PM
:": Definitely agree! My first class was not too bad but as I had to do all the Admin, H&S brief, form filling etc on the first night we didn't actually finish anything, but the last two weeks have been good and everyone has gone away with one and sometimes 2 items. The hardest thing I have found is balancing all the different levels of experience and being able to occupy those that 'get it' straight away or have dabbled already and understand the terminology etc, with those who are complete beginners and need extra guidance, but not spending too much time with them to the detriment of the rest of the class (I ended up with 12 in the end - I think I will max at 10 next time, AND charge more for materials).