PDA

View Full Version : Using tin with sterling silver?

camalidesign
13-03-2016, 10:06 AM
Hi all!

I have a nice little commission to make, a sterling silver pendant with a set beach pebble and small sparkly stones (prob use CZ),so all good there. But wait!.... they want a piece of tin incorporated into it...... why can't things ever be easy?! :) It's for a tin (10 year) wedding anniversary...

So, my question is; can I melt some tin into a ball and solder it onto the sterling silver pendant? If so,where do I get tin from and what solder do I use?

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Cheers,
Carin

Dennis
13-03-2016, 05:04 PM
Tin will contaminate your work surface if filed or heated and its melting point is quite low at 232°C, so my solution would be to cut it roughly from a bar of tin solder, Possibly with shears and claw set ( or glue in) one or more pieces as part of the design.
You can also get interesting pieces by melting it in a large stainless steel spoon and dropping it into a bucket of water. Dennis.

camalidesign
13-03-2016, 07:14 PM
Thanks Dennis, I am tempted to tell the guy that I can't use tin... The design will have 3 or 4 bezel set stones and I guess if I could make a cab shaped tin piece then I could set that in silver too. Depends on how soft tin is, and it is quite soft isn't it? Might just be a pita to do this...

Carin

metalsmith
13-03-2016, 09:36 PM
Wouldn't using (lead/) tin solder bring the piece within REACH? or is commissioning a piece not considered sale per se?

trialuser
13-03-2016, 10:51 PM
A small lump of tin is easily and cheaply available. (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TIN-metal-element-99-9-SOLID-CONE-/331304617536?hash=item4d234b4640:m:mewFqdMyWokGJby bM-xpeGg)
Spend the eight quid and crack on with it, melts easily into a cabouchonish shape, bezel set it and everyone's happy.
I have bought tin from that particular seller for alloying and it was fine.
If it's for a tin anniversary, it sounds like the tin is fairly important :-)
I suspect that for most of us, a bit of tin in the lemel ain't the end of the world.
If you cast what you have left over into a thin bar, you can have hours of fun listening to it 'cry' when you bend it.

camalidesign
14-03-2016, 04:50 PM
Thanks for that, I hadn't come across that supplier. The one I found only sold in 500g parcels for £40 so thought that was a bit steep to add in to the price of the pendant! :)

I will probably try to make a "cabochon like blob" and set it into a silver setting.

Carin

TeeDee
14-03-2016, 06:44 PM
Another method may be to rough up the end of some silver wire and dip it into some molten tin.
Assuming it grips well you will have a stem for a rivet style cold connection onto something.
the tin could also be filed/polished/textured etc to whatever shape or form you chose.
Would be nice to see the finished result whichever way you go.
Tim