PDA

View Full Version : Fixing earrings that may not be silver!

daisyvjewellery
08-03-2016, 12:32 PM
Hello! My friend has some earrings that I'd like to fix for her, the post has snapped on the back, however I don't believe they are sterling silver, or even silver at all, so I'm not sure how I should go about soldering the post back on! I'm fairly new to this so have only ever soldered sterling silver. Any advice would be so appreciated, thank you! Daisy x

Dennis
08-03-2016, 04:04 PM
Hello! My friend has some earrings that I'd like to fix for her, the post has snapped on the back, however I don't believe they are sterling silver, or even silver at all, so I'm not sure how I should go about soldering the post back on! I'm fairly new to this so have only ever soldered sterling silver. Any advice would be so appreciated, thank you! Daisy x

Well Daisy,
If they are of sentimental value, even broken, then steer clear. If however they are for the bin in their present state, then you can try adding a new post using extra easy silver solder, which is permitted for hallmarking, but has a low melting point.

When adding a post, make a little dip for it to sit in, using a round burr. This gives a better join.

After soldering, the post will need a few quarter turns along its length to test it and harden it. Dennis.

mizgeorge
08-03-2016, 05:14 PM
I'd agree with Dennis, but would add that if they have a decent size 'pad' then you do have the option of filing off the broken post completely and replacing it with a glued on version like this: http://www.cooksongold.com/Findings/Sterling-Silver-Peg-And-Flat-Disc--Pack-of-10-Excluding-Scroll-Style-307-5mm-Disc-prcode-NVJ-061X (you can, of course, always make your own with a pin and disc). This is my go-to solution if I have any doubt at all about the composition of this sort of problem and avoids heat completely.

Keia
09-03-2016, 09:24 AM
Personally if I couldn't be sure of the metal then I wouldn't do it, but offer the friend a replica pair made in silver instead

daisyvjewellery
09-03-2016, 02:41 PM
Thank you everyone, that's a great help!