PDA

View Full Version : Pointed Pliers mm

tessie
26-02-2016, 11:02 PM
Hi !

Another fab lesson today :-) I had a go with wire, I made "Jump Rings" !!!

I am not great with making the same sized "Jump Rings" So my ask is this - I vaguely remember seeing some long? Nose Pliers that had a ring cut into one or possibly both arms of the "Round" / pointed pliers ,it was in mm ranging from 1mm to 6mm, I could be wrong about the sizes...So does anyone know the proper name for these pliers and where can I buy any.

TTFN :)

Patstone
27-02-2016, 06:44 AM
You can wind the wire around a knitting needle then cut through the coil, they come in lots of different sizes. Use metal ones if you can. I think I have a pair of the pliers you are talking about and they are useless for making lots of jumprings, ok for one or two but if you need to make a quantity........

http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Multi-Sized-Looping-Pliers-prcode-999-CB12

are these the ones you are talking about.

Dennis
27-02-2016, 08:05 AM
Pat is quite right. Pliers, are useless for making jump rings.

Anneal the wire, or use soft wire and wind it around something of a standard size. Then lean the coil against a bench peg and cut, removing the former bit by bit, so that it still supports the coil. Keep the surplus jump rings in a small parts box for the future.

To form the jumprings, many use knitting needles like Pat, or buy a jump ring maker, or like me use a large set of twist drills. Mine go in half sizes from 1.5-13.0mm and I wind the wire around the stems.

Be aware that wire springs back, so the rings will be a little larger than the formers. Dennis.