PDA

View Full Version : Potential commission

theresa
25-02-2016, 11:12 PM
Does anyone know what type of setting this might be?
I have been asked to make a gents ring size Y with a 6mm Topaz in it. She wants it wide at the front tapering round the back.
Before I say no I need to think about it:confused:

Aurarius
26-02-2016, 01:05 AM
Does anyone know what type of setting this might be?

An "undercut and rubbed-over-on-two-edges setting" from the look of it.

enigma
26-02-2016, 01:15 AM
A difficult looking one? lol
Looks great though.

Patstone
26-02-2016, 06:58 AM
How will the stone stay in, cant it slide out on the edges. I think I would solder a flat thin, say 0,6mm) washer on top and bottom of ring, that way you have something you can rub over where the topaz is.

Goldsmith
26-02-2016, 08:55 AM
The only danger with setting this a square Topaz in type of ring is the risk if chipping the stone when setting it in place. I have made a similar ring for my daughter, set with a round 5mm. diamond, I set the stone using my hammer head attachment on my pendant drill.

James

theresa
26-02-2016, 10:30 AM
Thanks everyone - I have now passed on the details to a jeweller who has experience of this type of ring.
Best to stick with what you know and not try out new designs on a commission!
I personally feel it would have been unsuitable as a wedding ring. I could see it getting damaged - especially if worn by a man.
Mightily relieved.:ta:

enigma
26-02-2016, 10:41 AM
I agree, if the stone is topaz it would be unsuitable for a mans wedding ring, I would have advised them to go for a sapphire or diamond.

Aurarius
26-02-2016, 02:35 PM
How will the stone stay in, cant it slide out on the edges.
The pavilion of the stone will be sitting in a hollowed out seat, and the metal rubbed over the top of it will be pressing it down into that seat. Assuming there is enough metal holding the stone down firmly and the seat is deep enough, to slide out at the edges the stone would have to emulate Harry Houdini. Chipping at the edges, either when setting or when wearing it, would be the greater hazard, as others have said.

Dennis
26-02-2016, 07:00 PM
Good decision Theresa. Dennis.

Nick martin
26-02-2016, 07:26 PM
Looks like its channel set to me? Tricky one to make I think so not for the fainthearted!

Nick

Patstone
27-02-2016, 07:14 AM
I have never made a setting like that, presumably the shank must be quite deep to take the depth of stone.

Dennis
27-02-2016, 08:15 AM
Its just a flush setting with the sides missing Pat. The problems come when the customer blames the maker for the stone chipping. They would be right, because it is only suitable for a very hard stone, as Sarah said near the beginning. Dennis.

Gemsetterchris
28-02-2016, 10:40 AM
That's basically a rubover on two sides, similar to a channel setting which is basically the same thing.
Looks nice but not very hard wearing..bit difficult to make as you need to be extremely accurate.
Lots of different types of "man" these days so I'm sure It's ok for some, depending their lifestyle.