PDA

View Full Version : Signature style...?

Helen
25-02-2016, 09:29 AM
I was wondering how many of us have a signature style with the work we produce...I am still at the magpie stage where I will have a go at producing anything I see, working out and researching how to do it. The end result is usually very different from the original inspiration but it helps to learn new skills etc. So I suppose my question is more aimed at the more established folk on here...do you consider that you have a 'signature style', if you do, how long did it take to develop it? How important do you think it is? (Sweeps back the curtain and gestures to the rostrum...the stage is yours...).

Goldsmith
25-02-2016, 09:48 AM
I am now retired, but I don't think I had a signature style, working for over 50 years within the trade as a goldsmith, I was expected to be able to create many different styles, mostly designed by others, most items were either commissioned by or sold on to well known London shops, who then sold the items to customers from their shops, as their own unique creations.

James

ajda
25-02-2016, 10:26 AM
I wonder if the "magpie stage" is a actually a stage or more of a personality trait. I call myself a butterfly perfectionist - working away at something just long enough to get it right, then moving on... which means I never really stick at anything long enough to develop a signature style (and, which frustrates my partner, never really capitalising on all the R & D I've put in). I suppose the closest I've got to a specific signature piece is with glass: borosilicate glass "dragon eggs" are a bit of a speciality of mine - nothing original about making an egg shape, but with some techniques for creating certain colours and effects that I've developed myself.

8727 8725 8726

Alan

Nick martin
25-02-2016, 10:27 AM
Although very much an amateur still with vast amounts to learn, I think Ive got my own style. A little bit gothic as I'm inspired by historical / ancient jewellery, and I also like elegant simple designs.

Nick

Dennis
25-02-2016, 11:25 AM
I think that within two or three years we all begin to develop a signature style, Influenced by our background and it never quite leaves us.

Others will recognise it by the degree of finish, or deliberate lack of finish, additions of typical detail, plainness or fussiness.

Mine will always be influenced by my first teacher, Barbara Christie, now long gone. I always show it to her in my mind and hear her say on occasion 'no I don't like that at all'.
Dennis.

joella
25-02-2016, 02:31 PM
OMG Dennis! Barbara Christie was your first teacher - Wow, I love her jewellery and was gutted that I was unable to get along to the 'light seeping through windows' retrospective in I think it was 2013. Lucky you to have been taught by her.

Edhelien
26-02-2016, 07:56 PM
I think I am slowly getting to it, now after 6 years.

enigma
27-02-2016, 08:52 AM
I agree with Dennis, I think everybody has a certain style that is their own when it comes to handmade items even if their range is rather eclectic.

caroleallen
27-02-2016, 09:21 AM
I suppose I have a certain style in that I have ranges which I have made for years and people say they can identify my work, though God knows how as it's all a bit random.

Goldsmith
27-02-2016, 09:32 AM
Over the last years of my career I think my signature style became floral pieces as nearly everything I made was decorated with flowers. One of my most successful ranges was based on an old idea of flower specimens in rock crystal vases. I did some restoration work on a few Faberge pieces and asked my customer if there may be a market for new pieces of this style. I made a few small flowers and they sold quickly, so I continued making a few each year. There are now over 30 of my flowers in private collections around the world.

James

ShinyLauren
27-02-2016, 10:53 AM
I always admire jewellers that have an instantly recognisable signature style. Mine is all a bit random, as I just get an idea and want to make something, whether it fits in with anything else I've made or not!

Tabby66
28-02-2016, 12:52 AM
Hhhmmm,this made me think......yes i definitely have themes and preferred techniques.......would someone else recognise my style and identify something as my work??.......I doubt it!!

Interestingly enough, I'm in the throws of a new collection now,......it's on a bit of a tangent from previous work, but I see a common theme and style I guess!!

enigma
28-02-2016, 08:47 AM
Oh I didn't mean that people have collections all along the same themes, I think you can have an eclectic range but still have a unique style.

Gemsetterchris
28-02-2016, 10:34 AM
Everyone's work will have It's own "fingerprint" which maybe noticeable if the same job was performed by 10 different artisans & compared.
Highly unlikely to be noticed otherwise, unless you make really unique things or are famous...

Tabby66
28-02-2016, 10:52 PM
Oh I didn't mean that people have collections all along the same themes, I think you can have an eclectic range but still have a unique style.

I wasn't offended Sarah, it just made me think about my work!!

I also think Chris' comment is interesting and quite correct, the "fingerprint" of a maker on a particular job, compared to other makers would most likely be identifiable!!

:)

enigma
29-02-2016, 10:16 AM
Phew! :D

I actually thought it was the 'fingerprint' we were talking about.

Lynn.D
03-03-2016, 07:08 PM
I don’t have a signature style as only being a hobbyist I’m still learning new skills and can only aspire to achieve something like the jewellers on here do and probably never will. However, it doesn’t stop me from one day wanting to produce something I can truly be proud of.

There are so many different styles of jewellery I love so find it difficult as this time to decide where my addiction will lead me.

Helen
11-03-2016, 04:42 PM
That's pretty much where I am...it's more the techniques and skills I get distracted by, and trying them out...
Thanks for the replies guys!

Wallace
11-03-2016, 09:56 PM
I did see a post, not that long ago on a FB page. One person was accused of copying someone else's work. It transpired that the student had learned from the master well and work being produced looked similar to the untrained eye!

I believe I have a generalised style too - probably comes after 9 years of hobby and 2.5 years of doing this as my business.

theresa
12-03-2016, 05:04 PM
Me too. I call it serendipity!

I always admire jewellers that have an instantly recognisable signature style. Mine is all a bit random, as I just get an idea and want to make something, whether it fits in with anything else I've made or not!

diamondfoster
15-09-2016, 01:16 PM
I think over the years your signature style sort of develops on its own. Something that I always struggle to reconcile is my style and taste and current trends. I don't want to produce overly trendy jewellery, but at the same time I want it to be current. I don't think I have quite mastered the balance yet.

Patstone
16-09-2016, 06:10 AM
I get ideas from other peoples jewellery then make sure they are not UK based, then replicate but add my own ideas to it. Its very difficult to come up with something entirely new every time. I only make one-offs, if someone wants something but in a smaller or larger size, or perhaps with a different stone, either the shank has a few small holes drilled in it or the stone is a different shape or something other to make it different.