PDA

View Full Version : Rhodium Plating Opal Earrings, would you of not?

JMarkyBB
24-02-2016, 12:07 PM
Would anyone take the risk and Rhodium Plate a pair Yellow Gold Opal Earrings?

I know Opals are porous, but will the heat/water/chemical affect the stone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

enigma
24-02-2016, 12:20 PM
why would you rhodium plate yellow gold?

JMarkyBB
24-02-2016, 12:42 PM
Because that's what our customer has requested that we do. Tried to put her off, but she's having non of it, given her the gumf of that Opals hate heat/water/chemicals but she still wants us to pursue it. She requested that we take Opals out of Cabachon Settings and Rhodium Plate without stones in, but one or the other is going to get ruined in that process.

Goldsmith
24-02-2016, 01:08 PM
Does your customer want the ear rings to look like white gold? if so then tell them that the ear rings will have to be silver plated first before being rhodium plated, so that means two dips in chemicals on electricity charged wires. I would not like to risk opals in this process.

JMarkyBB
24-02-2016, 01:23 PM
Cheers, I'm going to show her this thread. Thanks to both of you.

JMarkyBB
24-02-2016, 01:24 PM
Does your customer want the ear rings to look like white gold? if so then tell them that the ear rings will have to be silver plated first before being rhodium plated, so that means two dips in chemicals on electricity charged wires. I would not like to risk opals in this process.

Yes, she wants the White look.

ps_bond
24-02-2016, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't put the opals in a plating bath, seems far too risky. Get a signed waiver from the customer that clearly explains there is a significant risk of damage to both setting and stones.
Also supply a quote to make the things from scratch with new stones...

Unhindered
24-02-2016, 01:36 PM
I have rhodium plated something with opal in before, it was fine, but it is a risk and I would just say you can't guarantee it if the customer is happy for you to risk it thats up to them :)

china
24-02-2016, 01:43 PM
Different opals tend to react differently, It may be fine as said above it is a big risk I would go the rout peter suggests

josef1
24-02-2016, 08:57 PM
I wouldnt put Opals in the rhodium I think the chemicals are around 40 deg c but still its not worth the risk. I would go with Peters surgestion aswell.

Tabby66
27-02-2016, 11:33 PM
NOPE.......don't risk it :(

Tabby66
27-02-2016, 11:37 PM
So, can I ask, I presume it is an existing pair of yellow gold opal earrings that she wants plating to look white rather than yellow??

Gemsetterchris
28-02-2016, 12:41 PM
Probably not a great idea but perhaps will work provided you are clear of blame with a signed note.
It'll only take 30 seconds to coat?