PDA

View Full Version : I'm annoyed with myself.......

Lynn.D
21-02-2016, 02:23 PM
My friend lost a ring very similar to this one and was so upset I want to make her one as a surprise. I just can't work out how to get all those different width's in the swirls????

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Dennis
21-02-2016, 03:27 PM
I just can't work out how to get all those different width's in the swirls????

Yes that's obviously the tricky bit, Lynn. I'm a great fan of trying it in copper. Make it in plain copper wire first and mark on it all the different sections where they get wide and narrow, before straightening it out again. That will give you the length too.

Then draw it as a strip on paper, using your wire as a guide. Stick the paper onto say 1.0mm silver sheet, and cut around your drawing. File all the edges and finally curl and bend.

If you are being extra cautious, do stage 2 in copper sheet first. Dennis.

Lynn.D
21-02-2016, 03:39 PM
Yes that's obviously the tricky bit, Lynn. I'm a great fan of trying it in copper. Make it in plain copper wire first and mark on it all the different sections where they get wide and narrow, before straightening it out again. That will give you the length too.

Then draw it as a strip on paper, using your wire as a guide. Stick the paper onto say 1.0mm silver sheet, and cut around your drawing. File all the edges and finally curl and bend.

If you are being extra cautious, do stage 2 in copper sheet first. Dennis.

Thank you Dennis, I did actually try it out with copper wire and just bashed it about with a hammer and it looked hideous but I'll order some more copper sheet and have another go with your suggestions.

Thank you.

Nick martin
21-02-2016, 04:27 PM
As Dennis has suggested, either pierce it from sheet varying the width along the length of the design, or use silver wire and planish it with a hammer in the areas you want it splayed. Finish off with a file.

Nick

Lynn.D
25-02-2016, 08:34 PM
In the end I ordered a strip of 1mm thick silver sheet 3mm wide (as not very good at piercing yet) and just kind of messed around with a file.

enigma
25-02-2016, 10:31 PM
Looks great! well done!

Dennis
25-02-2016, 11:11 PM
Well done Lynn.D You could be an astronaut next. Dennis.

Patstone
26-02-2016, 07:24 AM
Actually I prefer yours as I am sure your friend will, nice to have something a close friend has made just for you.

Lynn.D
26-02-2016, 06:38 PM
Actually I prefer yours as I am sure your friend will, nice to have something a close friend has made just for you.

Thank you patstone, I gave it to her today was a perfect fit and she was delighted!

This weekend I'll be tackling the dreaded bezel setting for the dichroic glass.

Lynn.D
26-02-2016, 06:43 PM
No Dennis I'm scared of heights! But out for a curry and a few wines soon so by 9.30 I hope to be floating on a cloud !

LydiaNiz
26-02-2016, 06:57 PM
Well done! Onward and upward!

Tabby66
28-02-2016, 12:13 AM
That's a lovely result and very like the original......I'm not surprised she was pleased!!