PDA

View Full Version : Oxidising gold question

luke1990
18-02-2016, 03:00 PM
I've noticed a few shops on etsy selling 14k gold with the recessed areas a really nice dark oxidised colour. Pretty much black in it's look.

For example:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/99764681/hand-stamped-personlaized-solid-gold?ref=shop_home_active_5

How do you create this effect?

Cheers

caroleallen
18-02-2016, 03:27 PM
I would think that they probably use permanent marker pens but I don't know for sure.

Goldsmith
18-02-2016, 03:28 PM
That black effect inside the lettering could be done many ways, I have seen similar effects achieved using black car paints, as sold in spray cans at Halfords, they spray the whole area, let it dry, then polish off the paint from the surface.

if you actually wanted to oxidise using chemicals, then you would have to copper or silver plate the bangle first, then polish off the outer surface, and the plated surfaces would then oxidise easily using chemicals.

James.

luke1990
18-02-2016, 04:20 PM
I've heard about the permanent marker, just didn't think there would be much longevity using it.

Interesting about the car paint.

Will have a go with both see what looks the part.

Dennis
18-02-2016, 05:37 PM
Try putting it in well used (blue) pickle with an iron nail. If you are lucky, then following James' advice it would coat with enough copper, to take liver of sulphur or other patinating agents. Dennis.

emsterv
04-03-2016, 08:31 PM
Interesting solution Dennis! I'll have to file that one away ..