PDA

View Full Version : celtic rings

fiona.mcq
12-02-2016, 01:00 AM
Hi i am a raw beginner to the art of jewellery making. i would like to attempt to make a simple celtic ring but cannot find guidence anywhere.
fiona

ps_bond
12-02-2016, 06:45 AM
Can you elaborate? I've got some I make where I carved the design in a chunk of steel and then compress silver into the die to give a knotwork pattern. So all (!) you need to do there is learn the use of scorpers, a hydraulic press and basic ring forming...

Nick martin
12-02-2016, 06:59 AM
Hi Fiona,

Theres a vast array of 'celtic' design rings to choose from so you need to elaborate more.

Also I would say that if you are brand new to jewellery making, then no offence but you need to start with more basic designs before moving onto a celtic style design.

Cheers,

Nick

CJ57
12-02-2016, 11:53 AM
Celtic designs usually involve some saw piercing too as well as engraving

ps_bond
12-02-2016, 11:56 AM
I've got a spoon commission where I've pierced out all the negative space on it.
Got a bit carried away with it...

CJ57
12-02-2016, 12:28 PM
It might be an idea to source Celtic designs and work out which would best size down to a ring and what kind of work that would involve. Celtic isn't particularly simple but maybe you like a challenge:)

ps_bond
12-02-2016, 12:30 PM
Basic knotwork's knot too bad. Recreating the Book of Kells - or working in the style of - is slightly more difficult.

Gemsetterchris
12-02-2016, 12:53 PM
If I remember correctly, there is a downloadable tutorial (small fee) somewhere on the lyndsay engraving site that explains how to make your own patterns.
It starts off easy enough at least.:eek:

ps_bond
12-02-2016, 12:59 PM
Oh yes, I remember that one. Couldn't find it directly, but it was IIRC Tom Sterling.
http://sterlingsculptures.com/wp/?page_id=1366

Added - found it:
http://www.engravinglessons.com/On-Demand%20Engraving%20Tutorials.htm
Down the bottom, look for "Celtic" and knot "knot"...

Dennis
12-02-2016, 01:25 PM
I posted this last night, but apparently forgot to press reply:

https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=fNy9VurLMOXS8Af4xZHACQ&gws_rd=ssl#q=u+tube+making+a+celtic+rings

Anna Wales
12-02-2016, 03:59 PM
All the Celtic pattern rings I make are pierced. It gives better definition to the pattern. I use either just the one layer of piercing or solder that layer on to a backing plate. Definitely not the easiest thing to start with but the only way to try is have a go.
Mark out a simple pattern, drill a hole to put your blade through and go. Good luck. Piercing is my favourite work.

metalsmith
12-02-2016, 07:03 PM
Lovely rings Anna!

An alternative would be to work in wax and then have it /them cast.

josef1
13-02-2016, 02:59 AM
Maybe design a pattern you like then etch on a flat strip of silver (presuming you want it in silver) then bend it into a ring and solder it up. a bit tricky for a first job but doable I think if you research the processes. Good luck and give it a try thats the way I seem to learn best !!