PDA

View Full Version : Yet another newbie.

Ruedeleglise
08-02-2016, 01:05 PM
Just starting in this fascinating hobby. Been an amateur horologist for 20 plus years so a lot of the tools are in common....thank heavens! Have already learnt a lot from the forum and look forward to learning a lot more.

Dennis
08-02-2016, 01:27 PM
Welcome to the forum. It should be an easy transition. Dennis.

CJ57
08-02-2016, 02:51 PM
Welcome, I'm sure you'll have things to teach us too.

Nick martin
08-02-2016, 03:07 PM
Welcome to the forum / group.

I'm still on a neverending learning curve and the folks on here have provided me with any amount of help. Enjoy!

Nick

Ruedeleglise
08-02-2016, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome. I will feel my way slowly. Have had one "lesson" at "file and forge" of Hatfield Heath, Essex. So far two copper rings and a copper dog tag with a brass initial applied to it. Finding this fascinating. Need other ideas to experiment with.

CJ57
08-02-2016, 06:34 PM
It's worth buying a few beginners books with exercises and projects. If you aren't against Amazon there are many on there some better than others but you can have a look through some of them

TeeDee
08-02-2016, 07:43 PM
Welcome.
It's a good place to find knowledge and as Caroline mentions you're very likely to be bringing your own to the table in due course.

Dennis
08-02-2016, 09:13 PM
Need other ideas to experiment with.

Go to museums and craft fairs, browse gift shops and jewellers windows, visit craft galleries and stare at people's' jewellery on public transport. If you're still stuck, it's not your scene. Dennis.

LydiaNiz
09-02-2016, 11:56 AM
... and stare at people's' jewellery on public transport..

I once drunkly told a bishop how much I loved his ring on a train. I do love a bit of amethyst and I am now tee-total.
Welcome to the forum, inspiration comes from peculiar places, including here ;-)

Ruedeleglise
09-02-2016, 12:11 PM
Yes, have bought one paper book....it is packed in the car now and can't remember the title.....mainly on techniques and another on kindle which is titled "jewelry makers field guide" by Helen I Driggs. Seems good and in depth leading a novice through the various skills by building blocks. I have found some of my horology skills have held me in good stead....so far..however my soldering skills were very basic and thanks to excellent tutoring at my first lesson a lot of the mystery and hit and miss of my previous "glueing" of metal together has been replaced with a far better neater result! Long may this continue!

Petal
10-02-2016, 12:57 PM
A warm welcome from me too and it sounds like your horological skills will stand you in good stead in the jewellery making world. I bet you've got loads of similar hammers etc too.

Ruedeleglise
10-02-2016, 07:30 PM
Thanks. The problem I anticipate is that in horology we endeavour to restore and repair in such a way as to be as invisible as possible! There is little scope to express oneself in an original way. In this discipline almost the opposite applies. It will require a different mindset. I love learning new techniques and new skills. I just need to develop new and original ideas and not run before I can walk......I am hopeful and sure that I will get advice inspiration and also pushes in the right direction on this forum!

CJ57
10-02-2016, 11:28 PM
You are many steps ahead of a lot of beginners in the mechanics though. Take yourself off for a walk round the city or country, look at things more closely than you might have in the past. We used to be taken to the museum to draw machines and moving parts or the botanics to draw flowers, I hated it all but it does make you look at things more closely and start to see shapes and forms, moving parts which you know all about anyway, that you can interpret in your own way and create something. Taking your camera and just taking pictures of interesting things is quite inspiring too:)