PDA

View Full Version : What gauge silver sheet for cuff bracelet?

Littlewhitefeathers
03-02-2016, 02:28 PM
Hi, I want to make a silver cuff bracelet with a phrase stamped on it. Probably about 1cm wide by whatever circumference the wrist is.

I was thinking if using some 1mm sheet, is that too thick? Or too thin?

CJ57
03-02-2016, 04:11 PM
I think I use 1.2 for my cuffs I would need to check, if you want to stamp it you need a bit of thickness. 1cm wide probably more of a bangle than a cuff maybe

tigerangel71
03-02-2016, 04:24 PM
Hi, I want to make a silver cuff bracelet with a phrase stamped on it. Probably about 1cm wide by whatever circumference the wrist is.

I was thinking if using some 1mm sheet, is that too thick? Or too thin?
1mm is normally a good overall thickness for all applications, I use it for pendants, and when I get round to making brackets I would use 1mm aswell, if your wanting it to feel quite light on the wrist you could try 80 or 90mm, I've used 60mm in the past and that is quite thin, and I find its better for layered projects.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Dennis
03-02-2016, 04:42 PM
1mm is normally a good overall thickness for all applications, I use it for pendants, and when I get round to making brackets I would use 1mm aswell, if your wanting it to feel quite light on the wrist you could try 80 or 90mm, I've used 60mm in the past and that is quite thin, and I find its better for layered projects. Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

I'm afraid a few decimal points have dropped off that reply. The thickness of sheet used, depends on the width and also whether it has an anticlasic curvature.

For a plain10mm wide strip in sterling, 1.0mm can be a bit flimsy, so I'm with Caroline at 1.2mm. Here is a similar recent thread, which might be of interest. Dennis.

enigma
03-02-2016, 06:50 PM
I would definitely go for 1.2mm if you are eating to stamp it.

Dennis
03-02-2016, 10:10 PM
It's fair to assume Sarah was hungry when she wrote that. Dennis.

Littlewhitefeathers
04-02-2016, 12:33 PM
Thanks all! Think I'll go for 1.2 :)
I want the stamping on the inside, I take it this will leave a slight mark on the outside that will need polished out?

CJ57
04-02-2016, 01:09 PM
Possibly scuffing rather than displacement which would have happened with thinner metal, depending of course how deep or hard you hit it with a hammer. It's worth practicing on scrap to get a feel for it if you haven't already done this. Sorry I'm making assumptions which may be wrong:) It will rub out with either micromesh or wet and dry. I tend to have a matt finish on the inside of my bangles but that's my choice

Tabby66
04-02-2016, 08:09 PM
I'd definitely go with 1.2mm as already advised, at 1cm width anything less would be too flimsy.

You will definitely get some marking on the front of your bangle if you are stamping on the inside. I would buff these off with a couple of grades of paper, then polish :)

enigma
05-02-2016, 08:54 AM
It's fair to assume Sarah was hungry when she wrote that. Dennis.

Haha! gotta love spellcheck! :rofl:

livinghorses
27-11-2017, 08:44 PM
Hello there. I am a new member, and delving into attempting to make sterling cuff bracelets.

I have bought 5mm wide, 1.2mm thick rectangular wire, to which I am soldering/welding a light over clip, so that I can then later threat leather and horse hair through. Sort of like a top decorative layer - but I need to do this last so not to burn it of course.

My question is, how do I harden the cuff? The curved ends aren't too bad, as they are quite stiff, but the rest of the cuff is still too easy to bend out of shape. I tried it in my oven at max temp (maybe 270 - 290 degree celcius) , it did bring the copper to the surface , but still didn't harden .

I also tried hammering, but all it did was distort the shape, and leave a hammered finished, and again, wasn't any harder :-(

I am about to order a piece of 7mm x 1.9mm sterling rectangular wire, but not sure if I will have better luck.

Any advise is appreciated (and I unfirtunately do not have access to any fancy or industrial equipment - I use a butane hobby torch to my welding at the present on jump rings and the like).

Thank you