PDA

View Full Version : Silver Solder

Patstone
28-01-2016, 07:38 AM
Just watched an american video on Youtube about making a locket and he used silver wire solder. I have always used pallions but find that I lose quite a few in the process as they either get knocked off by the pressure of the gas or drop off because they can. Has anyone found any hard solder wire, Cookies sell the Easy on a roll, but I wondered if its easier than pallions and if it would be hot enough to solder together, say a ring.

Dennis
28-01-2016, 08:06 AM
Well I have avoided trying it Pat, because as I understand it everything has to be held firmly in position, while you run the wire along it.

A third hand would do it of course, or it would work better on something heavy like a teapot. Would like a link to the video, though,Dennis.

Patstone
28-01-2016, 09:25 AM
https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/529947081132426902/

Its a locket which is easy enough for me to make, but the soldering looks so easy compared to me faffing about.

theresa
28-01-2016, 04:58 PM
I usually buy round wire solder from Rio Grande. I do find it easier to use than the flat strips, because you don't have to thin it.
I usually cut small pieces and place on the work and for some reason, it tends to stay in place and the flow is excellent.
I will be ordering some more stuff but not for a couple of months. Do you want me to include some for you Pat?

CJ57
28-01-2016, 06:02 PM
I usually cut into my hard solder strip about the width of easy solder or less and as long as you want then I either cut off pallions or on occasion fold the rest back and use it as wire. You need a steady hand and I seem to shake more than I did. There is a bit of a technique to it but I watched my dad lead soldering electronic panels and TVs when I was wee so it doesn't seem strange holding solder in one hand and a torch in the other

enigma
28-01-2016, 06:31 PM
My friend does wire soldering on cables and she is brilliant at it and makes it look really easy.
She did show me but its not as easy as she made it look...

Patstone
29-01-2016, 08:48 AM
Yes please Theresa, I have an account with Rio, but postage on such a small amount isnt worthwhile. If I can have about 2mtrs of hard wire it would be wonderful. Thank you. Hopefully Cookies will start to sell the hard as they sell the easy apparently.

Tabby66
29-01-2016, 05:52 PM
I strip solder Pat, but I cut a strip from rolled solder, then have some small self closing tweezers to hold it, my torch is fixed, so I have 2 free hands, one of which I hold the solder with and the other I hold the piece to be soldered with......if that makes sense.

Takes quite some practice, but allows great flexibility when you' can do it!!