PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone, I made jewellery as a hobbyist using sterling silver.

Melinda117
21-01-2016, 03:41 PM
I have been asked if any of my silver jewellery could effect people fitted with a pacemaker, has anyone come across this before or can point me in the right direction,

Gemsetterchris
21-01-2016, 03:48 PM
Shouldn't think so unless they are expensive.

CJ57
21-01-2016, 04:21 PM
If I remember correctly from my Mum's I read that magnets may be a problem, so if you use magnetic clasps that could cause interference

metalsmith
21-01-2016, 07:08 PM
I have been asked if any of my silver jewellery could effect people fitted with a pacemaker, has anyone come across this before or can point me in the right direction,

Magnets could cause a problem, but clasps are likely to be around the neck and those magnets used are likely to be too small to have any effect. The kind of magnets that might cause a problem are the strong new rare earth types, notably those in mobile phones. I would be confident that those magnets in magnetic clasps pose no danger.

Of course silver is conductive, so if it was plugged in, or otherwise connected to a power supply then it could affect pacemaker wearers - but then again it would affect most people!

Dennis
21-01-2016, 09:19 PM
Not exactly the perfect crime. Send out jewellery fitted with a 13 amp plug? More Cluseau than cloisonné.