PDA

View Full Version : Tube setting with Cabs

KarolinaMoon
19-01-2016, 01:29 PM
Hey everyone!

Im currently working on a ring, and tube setting a rose cut moonstone cabachon. I've always found it more difficult to tube set a cab than a faceted gemstone....and usually avoid it. I think I've got this sorted now (THINK and HOPE!!)....however just wondering how any of you go about tube setting a cab? I find it very difficult to set it straight. Any tips and advise welcome!!! Thanks!!

Patstone
19-01-2016, 01:57 PM
Why tube set, why not just bezel set it.

LydiaNiz
19-01-2016, 02:53 PM
I bezel set too, I've only tube set small (3mm) cabs, and had to thin the walls considerably. what size is the stone?

Dennis
19-01-2016, 03:11 PM
Well yes, you go for tube setting if you find it too small and fiddly to make a bezel. However the answer for success is to have a good bearer. This can be a backing sheet, a jump ring, or a bearer cut with a burr.

Walsh sell these cylindrical burrs in various sizes to give a good firm seat. Personally, I start with the cheaper round burr and the use these in a universal handle by hand. Dennis.
https://www.hswalsh.com/product/fraizer-fig-412-wheel-head-please-select-size

Gemsetterchris
19-01-2016, 07:22 PM
How short a length required before not a tube anymore but a bezel?

Dennis
19-01-2016, 08:27 PM
That's Phylosophy, that is Chris.

KarolinaMoon
19-01-2016, 08:57 PM
Why tube set, why not just bezel set it.

Thats a good question! I was very nearly going to give up and bezel set....BUT I was very determined to finally crack the tube set cab.....being the very stubborn person that I am!!

KarolinaMoon
19-01-2016, 08:59 PM
I bezel set too, I've only tube set small (3mm) cabs, and had to thin the walls considerably. what size is the stone?

Hi Lydia....its a 5mm...think I might have actually managed to do it....but if all goes wrong, then I will bezel set!

Tabby66
19-01-2016, 11:23 PM
How short a length required before not a tube anymore but a bezel?

My thoughts exactly Chris......same difference!

Dennis
20-01-2016, 01:57 AM
Not really, Jill. In this case the word tube is being used for seamless bought in tube, as opposed to self made tube or bezel. Sorry about that. Dennis.

Patstone
20-01-2016, 08:18 AM
Here here Dennis. Its the bane of my life, you go to a craft show and other stallholders say its "handmade" what they mean is they bought the components and glued them together.

Gemsetterchris
20-01-2016, 08:44 AM
What if you cut off abit of tube the correct height & solder it to a flat base..what's it called then?
Bezel, collet?
It's just a rubover setting either way & as Dennis said, you need a ledge or base for the flat bit to sit on ( by whatever means ).

CJ57
20-01-2016, 12:24 PM
And having been made to make a lot of tube when I was training I can assure you it has a seam because it starts off as sheet. It still as Chris says has to be soldered to the piece having sawn a bit off so in my eyes still handmade because you have the skills to use a saw, solder and set a stone

Patstone
20-01-2016, 01:06 PM
My message came over a bit hoity toity didn't it. Put it down to having gone away for the weekend and come back with a bad cough, so sleepless nights for both. It's just that one chap in the regular craft show we go to, states all jewellery handmade. Can you call it handmade if its components bought in and superglued together. Whereas ours really is handmade, apart from very fine chain, we make everything sometimes even the tubes and it takes hours sometimes. I tend to buy tube now because its quicker and cookies finish is better than mine.

CJ57
20-01-2016, 01:22 PM
My message came over a bit hoity toity didn't it. Put it down to having gone away for the weekend and come back with a bad cough, so sleepless nights for both. It's just that one chap in the regular craft show we go to, states all jewellery handmade. Can you call it handmade if its components bought in and superglued together. Whereas ours really is handmade, apart from very fine chain, we make everything sometimes even the tubes and it takes hours sometimes. I tend to buy tube now because its quicker and cookies finish is better than mine.

I have a bit of a problem too with someone making jewellery from only bought components and beads and a pair of pliers and calling it handmade. Handmade does seem to have a broad meaning Pat:/

Gemsetterchris
20-01-2016, 01:34 PM
I have a bit of a problem too with someone making jewellery from only bought components and beads and a pair of pliers and calling it handmade. Handmade does seem to have a broad meaning Pat:/

Riot squad at the ready.:eek:

CJ57
20-01-2016, 02:53 PM
Riot squad at the ready.:eek:

I was replying to Pat's comment but in that case we'll need the same squad for your complaint about substandard stone setting :)

LydiaNiz
22-01-2016, 09:17 AM
I think of bezels as having thinner walls and being made to fit the individual stone. Ohhh the handmade also thing boils my blood.

johnmoto
02-02-2016, 02:08 AM
Hey everyone!

Im currently working on a ring, and tube setting a rose cut moonstone cabachon. I've always found it more difficult to tube set a cab than a faceted gemstone....and usually avoid it. I think I've got this sorted now (THINK and HOPE!!)....however just wondering how any of you go about tube setting a cab? I find it very difficult to set it straight. Any tips and advise welcome!!! Thanks!!

What I do is once you have cut your ledge or you if you have a collet inside for stone to sit on what is the best way then use a ball stick graver its curved edge is ideal for the curvature of the stone once adjusted burnish inside edge then push walls tight onto stone so there is no gaps , if you find this to difficult then just give it to one of us stone setters.

Gemsetterchris
02-02-2016, 11:27 AM
To get the ledge in the first place, use a ball burr to get the stone to fit, then use an inverted cone/cylinder (whatever they are) that can cut flat & follow the bottom of where the ball burr went...probably what I'd do at least.